Driver's window doesn't drop when opening door

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alohart

Today, my wife and I went grocery shopping. I was unable to lock the doors (Comfort Access). My wife noticed that the driver's door wasn't closed completely. When I tried to close it, it felt like something was interfering with the door closing completely. I noticed that the window wasn't dropping when I opened the door (BMW describes it as the anti-trapping mechanism), so the window was hitting the door seal when I shut the door.

When I returned home, I performed the window initialization procedure which fixed the problem for now.

I had done nothing that would explain why the anti-trapping mechanism quit working. If this suggests that something might be breaking, I'd like to have it repaired under warranty. Have about 4 weeks remaining to take our 2019 U.S. i3 to a BMW dealer for warranty repairs.
Should I make a dealer service appointment or is this just something innocuous that can occur for no apparent reason?

We all know who suspect #1 is!

I'll just offer up that my '21 with 20k is on its 3rd 12 volt battery, and I'm still a month short if its 2nd anniversary.

eNate said:
We all know who suspect #1 is!
With a 12 V battery monitor installed plus a voltmeter in the auxiliary power port below the center of the dashboard, I can rule out suspect #1. My 12 V battery's resting voltage is ~13.3 V which doesn't sag below 12.8 V when the high-voltage system is starting up. Those aren't misprints.

eNate said:
I'll just offer up that my '21 with 20k is on its 3rd 12 volt battery, and I'm still a month short if its 2nd anniversary.
That's amazing! I assume that BMW is replacing these batteries under warranty. Any explanation for their short lives? Did your previous i3 burn through 12 V batteries as rapidly? Maybe you need to consider a 12 V battery with a different chemistry…

alohart said:
I assume that BMW is replacing these batteries under warranty. Any explanation for their short lives? Did your previous i3 burn through 12 V batteries as rapidly?

Yes, so far.

I don't know why. The first was replaced immediately after purchase. The car's programming was corrupt and needed to be factory-reloaded. The battery seemed fine to me, but they replaced it. February build, August purchase, clean odometer at pickup but 1,800 miles on the drive home.

That second battery seemingly died without warning a few months ago, 17 months after the previous.

And no, my '17 was great, on its original 12 volt with 50k and 5 years after its build date.

Back