Drivetrain error again!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramian

So I've had the i3 for less than 2 weeks and it's been in the dealers service centre due to a drivetrain error. Got fixed. Was apparently a dodgy cable that was replaced and a condensation REX problem that needed 'drying out'. Had it back for 6 days and same error again. Does anyone know of a permanent fix. It's clear the service centre doesn't have a clue!

These drive train errors have been occurring and reoccurring for many months, yet BMW doesn't seem to know what's causing them or has not devised a fix for the problem(s). Even new 2015 models suffer the same problem(s). This does nothing but create ill will for BMW and a level of dissatisfaction for a rather expensive car that spends far too much time out of service. I'm just amazed and disappointed that BMW has let this continue for so long.

The drive train malfunction warning can be a result of many different issues, and even non-issues which are just false sensor readings.

The issue you describe in the OP about condensation is an ongoing issue, but fortunately it isn't a problem, it just sets off the malfunction warning. Prolonged REx use created condensation in some conditions and it sets off a sensor. Once the condensation evaporates the warning goes away. In some instances, owners take the car in for service and the techs open up the component that gets the condensation and it dries out faster. BMW is apparently working on a permanent fix for this, but in the meantime, it's not a "problem" in that it only trips the sensor. If you wait a few hours or overnight, it dries out by itself and the warning goes away.

Did you get that warning after using the REx for a while? Something like an hour or so of continued REx use? I'm asking because in my experience (and what I've hears from others) this doesn't happen if you only use the REx for a short time, like less than 45 minutes. It takes a while of continued use for the condensation to build up.

I am now an official member of the drive train error club at 1870 miles. Mine is a June 2015 I3. Battery hit 6% and then got the drive train error indicating the REX would not kick in and to expect reduced performance. Got home with 3% left of battery. The only time the REX has been used since I got the car was the 10 minute maintenance cycle after 35 ish days. It worked fine then.

Got it into the service center the next morning and it was a bad spark plug causing a misfire. They replaced both spark plugs. Cannot complain about BMW Service folks in Bellevue, WA. Clif Newton even found me a loaner car at almost no notice.

Still loving the car. Confidence a little dented.

Well it all got very interesting and BMW finally replaced the range extender with a more up to date version and since then I've had no problems, even when running on the REX for over an hour on a long run I had to do recently.

:D

Back