Enable REx Hold option

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeJ

I recently read on the BMW BLOG about an owner that utilized the OBD II connection and available software to change the settings to the European "Enable REx Hold option". With the REx engaged at 75% SOC he was able to drive from the (San Francisco) Bay Area over Donner Summit to Lake Tahoe. This is the "tune" that I have been waiting for. It does not suddenly make the i3 a great car for regular long trips, though it does unlock the opportunity to drive on those rare occasions when a couple hundred miles in a weekend is required, without plugging in.

95% of my driving will fall into the electric range and another 3-4% within the regular extended range. While I may only need this capability once a year it has been the reason I have not moved ahead with the i3. Now I am planning to do a three day test drive and look into the logistics of getting a 220 volt charger in my garage. While I am reasonably competent technologically, I still would not mind assistance with the coding change, could be a new cottage industry. Has anyone here made this tweak?

I don't think many have done this yet although a few have reported good results. With all the software and hardware updates coming up in the next couple of months any coding changes probably ought to wait until they are completed, if only to keep from having to do the coding all over again when the changes get overwritten by an update.

The issue of how such a substantial change might affect the warranty is still unclear, the same with emissions checks....... I suspect that the CARB would frown on a change in the operation of the REx, but I don't know what the penalty might be: probably just a fix-it ticket.

WoodlandHills said:
I don't think many have done this yet although a few have reported good results. With all the software and hardware updates coming up in the next couple of months any coding changes probably ought to wait until they are completed, if only to keep from having to do the coding all over again when the changes get overwritten by an update.

The issue of how such a substantial change might affect the warranty is still unclear, the same with emissions checks....... I suspect that the CARB would frown on a change in the operation of the REx, but I don't know what the penalty might be: probably just a fix-it ticket.

You probably have a good point regarding reprogramming after forthcoming updates. I would be less concerned about getting penalized. That said I can imagine BMW making changes that preclude owners from accessing this switch or removing it altogether from the software on USA bound vehicles. I would be exceptionally disappointed to acquire an i3, have the hold function enabled, and then a short time later have it permanently taken away.

You can also look here to get a start on this forum.

BMW i3 Forum Home » BMW i3 Owners Forum » Technical BMW i3 Discussions
Coding the i3 (discussion) - The conversation got hijacked around facebook rants but the links are there

Here's some links from the coding thread:

http://electricvehiclewiki.com/BMW_i3

http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-coding-tutorial/

Back