Energy Consumption During Preheat

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeS said:
Then again a 7kw Uk EVSE should be able to draw about 16 amps.

A 7kw UK EVSE should draw about 32 amps. But I'm still confused as to whether the i3 can pre-condition from the mains only (if sufficient kw is available) or whether it can't.

Bill

Bunter said:
MikeS said:

A 7kw UK EVSE should draw about 32 amps. But I'm still confused as to whether the i3 can pre-condition from the mains only (if sufficient kw is available) or whether it can't.

Bill

Absolutely correct! Must have pressed the wrong buttons!!

Bunter said:
MikeS said:

Bill

Your utility power is likely 220/380 three phase. 7Kw, 32 amp and 220V sounds like single phase charger?
Does the Euro spec BMWi3 have two or three AC power pins on it's power plug to operate the on board charger?

buickanddeere said:
Your utility power is likely 220/380 three phase. 7Kw, 32 amp and 220V sounds like single phase charger?
Does the Euro spec BMWi3 have two or three AC power pins on it's power plug to operate the on board charger?

UK domestic supply is 230 V, single phase, hence the figures. In the UK there 2 power pins on the power plug, the third pin is an earth.

Bill

Is there any point to the preheat function (not the cabin climate control preheat) from an efficiency point of view?

amateurish said:
Is there any point to the preheat function (not the cabin climate control preheat) from an efficiency point of view?

My i genius said if you only get one option get this for optimum range in winter starts also heated seats better use of power than heater. I don't know for sure but took his word on it.

amateurish said:

Pre-heating is better than driving around blind with a fogged or frosted over windshield. Wiping the glass on the inside with your hand doesn't work either. That just adds another layer of oil and dirt onto the glass which makes fogging worse the next time.
As for the worries about battery power consumption. If the AC charger supplies 3KW and the heater is using 7KW. That means 4KW is being sourced out of the batteries.
Not a bad deal really, beats 7KW sourced from the batteries.

Latest posts

Back