Engine management light

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 10276

Hello I’m a newcomer to the i3, this forum, and electric cars! Unfortunately having only owned the car for all of 3 hours the engine management light has come on. it’s the range extender 60ah model. charged it up at home for about an hour and went out for a drive and it came on as I was driving. The temperature is about 2 degrees if that makes any difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Not the best start is it 😩
Thanks
Damian

You really need to learn what diagnostic trouble code(s) (DTC) caused the check engine light to illuminate. Otherwise, all we can do is guess. The BimmerLink smartphone app can scan for and report DTC's although their descriptions can be cryptic.

The REx system is frequently the source of DTC's. The BEV models don't even have a check engine light. The problem could be minor and essentially ignorable or it could indicate a problem that should be fixed.

You really need to learn what diagnostic trouble code(s) (DTC) caused the check engine light to illuminate. Otherwise, all we can do is guess. The BimmerLink smartphone app can scan for and report DTC's although their descriptions can be cryptic.

The REx system is frequently the source of DTC's. The BEV models don't even have a check engine light. The problem could be minor and essentially ignorable or it could indicate a problem that should be fixed.
Hi thank you for your reply and sorry for the late response. Having found my OBD scanner it’s coming up with code P2097 “fuel trip too rich”. I’ve taken the i3 to the garage today and have been reassured that whether it’s a faulty O2 sensor or a new cat he will pay for it. Only had it a week so obviously still within warranty.
Thanks again
Damian

Back