Errant passenger seatbelt warning going off

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beachmason

I have a 2014 REX with 3K miles - I have owned for 2 months and probably 6-7 times the seatbelt warning lights and bells and whistles start going off for no apparent reason. I know it is the passenger because the only way to stop it is to close that buckle even though the seat is virtually empty. I say virtually because sometimes there is an iPhone, iPad and maybe a small backpack on the seat, but nothing close to the weight any other car I have ever had triggered the warning, and even if I pick them up the warning continues. I also notice that this has usually happened at very low speeds and when I am turning; possibly a short?

Ideas?

Maybe, though I've had the same problem. Usually it's my iPad, though one time it was a pyrex baking dish.

Beachmason said:
I have a 2014 REX with 3K miles - I have owned for 2 months and probably 6-7 times the seatbelt warning lights and bells and whistles start going off for no apparent reason. I know it is the passenger because the only way to stop it is to close that buckle even though the seat is virtually empty. I say virtually because sometimes there is an iPhone, iPad and maybe a small backpack on the seat, but nothing close to the weight any other car I have ever had triggered the warning, and even if I pick them up the warning continues. I also notice that this has usually happened at very low speeds and when I am turning; possibly a short?

Ideas?

It is super sensitive. A backpack = alarm. An ipad = alarm. A pizza = alarm. My other cars seemed to have some weight sensitivity regarding this chime. It is annoying. I end up having to click in the seatbelt if whatever I am carrying needs to sit there.

Back