Estimated Range Prediction / Energy Used Calculation

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fdl1409 said:
It will stay up while driving. And there is a SOC indication in 13. No indication for power used, but absolute usable power left in the battery.

Frank
OK thanks. I will give it a try on my next outing ..

Zzzoom3 said:
fdl1409 said:
It will stay up while driving. And there is a SOC indication in 13. No indication for power used, but absolute usable power left in the battery.

Frank
OK thanks. I will give it a try on my next outing ..

Anyone know how the range meter in the car correlates with the SOC as indicated by the phone app. My drive to work is 32 miles. I start from home with 88 miles and arrive at work with 56 miles remaining. So, that seems as if the range indicator is pretty spot on. But once parked at work I will check the app and it will show that I have only used about 32% of battery charge. If that were true the range would be close to 100. But when I arrive home after 64 mile round trip the range indicator shows 24 miles remaining which would suggest that the 88 mile suggested is the true max range. So, what is the discrepancy with the SOC as shown by the app. Is it showing the full battery and not just the usable portion? Weird.

I must say the range indicator is a bit odd in that it seems to predict range based on the most recent couple miles. I live at the top of a steep hill. The climb from down town to home will net me a usage of 2.5 mi/kWh over 2 miles which often happens if I drive home from the gym or store. So, if that was my last trip it will show max range the next day of 65 miles despite the fact that my overall usage in the last 700 miles is 4.5 mi/kWh. Somewhere in between seems like it would be more reasonable since the next day I commute to work and get 64 miles with 20-24 remaining. I would love to see a true SOC meter.

Jakell64, If you talk to someone "in the know" you have rare connections. So far everyone I speak to, and with the KLE collapse, thats allot, both the dealer and concierge service, all I get is " no one from BMW headquarters tells us anything." I have had this very conversation with them , ask them if anyone reads the forums, and get no for an answer. When I ask what the process is for inputting suggestions they tell me to just give them the suggestions. When I ask them AGAIN for the process, like what happens to the suggestions, do they prioritize them by severity, of numbers of customer's input? How do they know what BMW Headquarters is working on, they haven't a clue. I do know from industry sources BMW is really struggling with software development. But of course a quick overview of the car's U/I kinda spells that out in a hurry.

jasleinstein said:
Jakell64, If you talk to someone "in the know" you have rare connections.

No, not really. I was referring to this blog's own Tom Moloughny here and on the Facebook group. Yes, the KLE thing is a big issue. I have no comment on that. The SOC calculation (which was what this thread was about and what I was referencing) is not, when it comes down to it, a big issue. Yes, lots of people want it, including myself. I think it's a safe bet that we'll have access to the SOC through a future iDrive update. Do I know it for sure? No. I'm just reading the posts.

Back