EV chargers? Considering Bosch EL-51253, anyone using it?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottlawrencelawson

I am considering the Bosch EL-51253 Power Max 30 Amp Electric Vehicle Charging Station with 18' Cord.

I like the size, style, on/off feature, and plug holder. I went back and forth regarding hard wire or plug in but determined that hard wire is best for me.

Has anyone installed this or a similar model? What is your experience or would advise completely against Bosch.

Thanks!

I have that exact one being installed on Tuesday. Happy to give you a report after a few days!

I have a Clipper Creek HDC-40 on a UPS truck for delivery later this week. Solid unit, made in the USA, and a good price, at least for now. FWIW, after a glitch when trying to order online, I called them...the price I ended up being charged for shipping was less than what the website was calling for. Without a plugin, $599 + shipping. 25' cord.

jadnashuanh said:
I have a Clipper Creek HDC-40 on a UPS truck for delivery later this week. Solid unit, made in the USA, and a good price, at least for now. FWIW, after a glitch when trying to order online, I called them...the price I ended up being charged for shipping was less than what the website was calling for. Without a plugin, $599 + shipping. 25' cord.

Isn't is $590 for the hardwire and $644 for the plug version? And did you purchase the $19 wall connector holster?

Yes, I bought the hard-wired version, and it was $590. ANd, yes, I did buy a holster, but it probably isn't needed. I do not have it yet. It's somewhere between the west coast and the east coast on a truck! Note, while the charger is the same, if you want the 'convenience' of plugging it in, you need to run a 50A circuit rather than a 40A one. My panel really can't support a 50A circuit, even though it wouldn't be actually pulling more than the hard-wired one. Code requires the wiring and circuit breaker to match the capacity of the plug, and there are no 40A plugs, but lots of 50A ones...thus, the requirement for the bigger circuit. Now, if you want their -60 version, you need yet a bigger supply, and at least for the current i3, is more powerful than the i3 can use (it would work fine, though, since the two negotiate the actual charge level).

The Bosch EL-51253 Power Max 30 amp charging station is $567.05 with free shipping at Amazon.

There's something to be said for Made in the USA, and the Clipper Creek units are. I've had good luck with other Bosh stuff, and expect that unit to work fine, as well.

FWIW, I had a Clipper creek unit installed today, and it works fine with the i3, as others have indicated. Made in the USA, much less than the BMW unit, and has essentially the same capabilities.

In using it, I did notice that the car's display was off a fair amount verses when the vehicle was actually indicating it was fully charged. This may change as it get used...I only have about 40-miles on it!

So far so good with the EL-51253.

The install guy said that all his i3 owners (he's the guy doing the BMW unit installs in the area) are reporting that the cars report about 3 miles less drivable distance on all Level 2 charges. I'm witnessing the same. The car had been saying 81 in the morning, now it's saying 78. Odd.

He said the Bosch PowerExpress is a better unit because it's rated for not only being waterproof but dust-proof. He also said the BMW unit is not worth the extra money unless you need to lock out access in a public space, or need a place to put your driving gloves. He was awesome.

Back