extending existing i3 with fast charging?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwerius

Hello,

I have a i3 Rex from 2014.
I bought it with Rex because of "Range Anxiety" ......

Meanwhile, we have so many fast charging stations in Holland, that's no problem at all anymore.

If we are driving a little further than usual, nowadays we are using my wife's VW E-Up (with fast charging option) and drive it throughout the whole country.

Of course that would also be possible with my i3 Rex, but then I have to use gasoline more often and I want to do that as little as possible.

At the time of purchas, I could have bought the i3-Rex with a fast charging option. But at that time I thought that I did not need it because of the Rex.

The situation is different now with many fast charging possibilities in our country.

If I would buy a new i3 now, that would be full-electric and fast charging. (I don't think I can buy anything else anymore?)

However, I don't want to buy a new car. Have now driven about 98,000 km (in 4.5 years) and would like to be using this car for quite some time.
I use the vehicle mostly on self generated solar energy and thus almost for free! See (in Dutch): https://geen-energierekening-meer.weebly.com/autos.html
Is it possible, to build in the fast-charging option (CCS) afterwards (now)?

I think the battery is identical, and it is only something like power electronics + charging socket that have to be changed?

Does anyone of you know, if this is possible? And if yes, what BMW code is this?

Back