Extending the 75% to 100%

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bohoe

I drive a 2018 94Ah REx and I love it.
The other day, it occurred to me while driving that if the REx is managed by code, then there has to be a way to code it so that the REx starts on demand at any percentage and not just at the allowed 75% or less. I also wondered if there is a need at all for the car to be moving for the REx to work, if recoded. I see the value of being able to charge your car with the generator in emergency situations.

Furthermore, I wondered if you could use the REx to run other devices in such emergency situations, and finally, whether you can even replace the REx with a more powerful and potentially more efficient engine.

Has anyone experimented with these ideas or know any cases?

I suspect that the rationale for the 75% is that under pretty much any circumstance there is space in the battery for the power to go. When you get too much closer to 100% there are likely to be situations where, for example, the driver uses regen braking while the REx is running at full tilt, and you could suddenly run out of space in the battery for it.

Before thinking about putting in a more powerful engine, take a look at the space available for it - there aren't many engines that would fit in that space. And if you want power for emergencies, it's probably going to be a lot easier just to buy a small petrol-powered generator...

Back