Failure to stop completely (without brake)?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roofless

I've noticed lately that when coming to a stop, my wife's i3 sometimes continues to creep forward very slowly after lifting off the throttle. This happens on flat roads (I live in FL, everything is flat), and it didn't start happening until recently. When creeping, the speedometer shows 0mph/1kph. It doesn't happen all the time, and sometimes applying and lifting the brake will stop it, other times the car will start creeping again. This happens at various states of charge.

I'm wondering if the throttle is getting stuck, or the i3 is incorrectly sensing throttle pressure. Another reason I suspect this is because sometimes I have trouble turning off the car, I have to press the STOP button several times, which is also new behavior (the first press does take the car out of Ready mode in all cases). Maybe this is a coincidence.

Anyone else seeing these issues? We have a 2014 REx, and the REx is not active when this happens.

The vehicle is designed to prevent it from rolling backwards when in drive, and forward when in reverse, but there's nothing automatic (unless you're using the ACC) to hold it in place otherwise (well, momentarily when you first release the brake after being stopped).

All BMWs require two presses of the START button to fully shut off. With one press, some functions will continue to operate for about 10-minutes, then shut off unless you lock the car, then they go off then. The i3 is not different.

This is all discussed in the User's Manual...a good place to start to try to understand your new vehicle.

roofless said:
I've noticed lately that when coming to a stop, my wife's i3 sometimes continues to creep forward very slowly after lifting off the throttle. This happens on flat roads (I live in FL, everything is flat), and it didn't start happening until recently. When creeping, the speedometer shows 0mph/1kph. It doesn't happen all the time, and sometimes applying and lifting the brake will stop it, other times the car will start creeping again. This happens at various states of charge.

I'm wondering if the throttle is getting stuck, or the i3 is incorrectly sensing throttle pressure. Another reason I suspect this is because sometimes I have trouble turning off the car, I have to press the STOP button several times, which is also new behavior (the first press does take the car out of Ready mode in all cases). Maybe this is a coincidence.

Anyone else seeing these issues? We have a 2014 REx, and the REx is not active when this happens.

Yes, I see this same creep behaviour occasionally. I drive the same route three times a week and it occurs at the same apparently flat intersections. I haven't tested, but I suspect there is a tiny grade on the road leading into the intersections where this occurs. The car has very low rolling resistance and I think the regen disengages as the car almost reaches a stop, allowing it to continue to roll down the slight slope.

Two presses on the button is required to turn off the car. Or, you can one press, hop out and lock the car - it will turn off when you lock it.

Thanks for the feedback, but let me clarify that the issues I reported in my original post appeared recently, that's why I asked about them -- we've had the i3 for more than 4 months.

The creeping happens at places where it wasn't happening before, and it doesn't always happen now in those same places -- that seems odd unless there are other factors (besides gravity) at work. Regarding the STOP button, I'm finding that sometimes I have to press it 4-5 times before the car shuts off completely (even if I pause briefly between presses); as I said in my original post, the first press always works as expected (takes the car out of Ready mode but leaves on accessories).

Unless there is a tailwind, pavement variations or something, no explanation regarding the creep. Do you stop in the same spot in the same lane? If the car creeps after stopping or fails to stop, try pouring a cup of water on the pavement and see where it goes.

I usually hit the stop button and lock from outside, so rarely double tap the stop button. Never seen that problem, sorry.

The first month we had the car I had same issue with rolling forward when stopped, sometimes it would hold and other times not. I found out later, the simple fact is the car does not have a hold forward feature with normal stopping, it only holds from rolling backwards. The hold forward is only active when ACC stops the car.

Try taking your foot off the brake pedal before you push the power button the second time. First press with foot on pedal and second press foot off, if you keep the pedal pressed even a little bit the car will not turn off.

Back