First week with the new toy

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justanotherdrunk

She looks good in her new home.

100_4349-M.jpg

100_4334-M.jpg

100_4336-M.jpg

Good

*instatorque
*quirky/ attention grabbing styling/ great color/ everyone loves it!
*no brakes city driving
*turning radius
*free (included) super fast dc charges
*5% insurance cost reduction

Bad

*no AM radio
*stupid auto lock doors
*ridiculous white floor mats - swapped for black
*rear window dirt vacuum
*skinny tires vs rain grooves means she's a wanderer on the freeway

Discoveries

*The under armrest cupholder is relocatable in front of the front cupholder
*The trip meter reset button is on the left of the screen
*There's an extra 12v outlet under the dash
*The dash under screen tray stuff sliding around problem was cured by a custom cut piece of rubber liner

;)

jadnashuanh said:
The proper tire pressure can make a difference in how it handles at speed...check yours.

You were right ...

Per the door jam:

F 33 psi
R 41 psi

The left front was at 45 psi?

Verified and confirmed with 2 new guages

All 3 others were OK

I guess the TPMS ain't workin'

I reset it

I'll see tomorrow morning if that overpressure affects the freeway wandering

further research reveals:

the tpms measures differences in tire rotational speed to detect a flat not pressure

i believe the tpms was never reset by the dealer on my car

While I was waiting on paperwork to be completed, I was looking around one of the showroom cars and was pleasantly surprised by the under-dash 12V. I have a cell phone holder which plugs into the outlet, so my phone floats between the center console and the dash. Provides easy access without blocking anything and keeps the phone within eye-view so I'm not looking down at the cupholder or wherever else it'd be kept.

justanotherdrunk said:
the tpms measures differences in tire rotational speed to detect a flat not pressure
If that was the case how would it now the exact pressure?

Tomasz said:
justanotherdrunk said:
If that was the case how would it now the exact pressure?
The same way the car knows your exact range....... It guesses!

BMW, and most car companies, have two methods of determining low tire pressure...depending on the market, BMW uses one or the other. IN the USA, they use an actual sensor in the wheel...in other locations (including, I think, Canada), they use the tire rotation rates (from the anti-lock sensors). In either case, the car does NOT care about actual tire pressure, it uses changes in the pressure to indicate an error based on a change from when it was last reset. It takes a bit of driving to reset them, and should only be initialized when cold after just adjusting properly. In the TPMS, they have an inertial sensor, and only broadcast at intervals. On the i3, it is triggered to only do that when on top dead center.

YOu want all of the tire pressures to be set properly.

justanotherdrunk said:
2 weeks in and haven't used a drop of gas

Been only using the free (included) DC fast charges to 80%, then top it off with the 110V at home.

:cool:
Ah...I wish I had those options! The closest CCS unit to me is over 150-miles away, and they get $10/hour to connect to it!

Have you heard of the guy from Ireland who put an extra battery in the back of his i3 BEV, and runs it like a range extender? Can't remember where I read that but there were pretty good pics of the setup.

Before you ask about safety, he hired an automotive battery manufacturer to design and integrate it for him !

Back