front tire fluttering sound

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverpanda

Hi i3ers,

I noticed a flapping/fluttering sound coming from the front driver side wheel at any speed above 10 mph. Faster flapping at higher speeds. Is my i3 growing wings? :) I replaced that tire at 2500 miles (nail in tire) and now at 3100 miles I noticed the flapping last night. I have the 19in mega star spoke rims and I replaced it with the OEM EP600s. The tire looks fine and is properly inflated. I don't think it's the infamous whooping. Is it a bearing? Has anyone had this issue? My service center can't see me till next week and I'm wondering if I should bring it in for emergency service (and part from my car for a week, sigh). Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Thank you for your response Schnort! No nail that I could see, but there are a bunch of tiny stones nestled in the tread. You think those can make such a noticeable sound? I'll dig them out and see if it changes anything.

For me, I noticed it in my car a weeks ago. I could only hear it in the parking garage when I was turning with the windows open. It was a clicking that sped up as I did.

If you can hear it with the windows up, that sounds like it's bigger than that. Anything on the inside of the wheel like a plastic bag or something? Maybe your bearings are having issues?

Thanks again, Schnort. I love driving with my windows down, so I noticed it right away. Not evident with the windows up. But it definitely sounds like a bird fluttering or rubber flapping. Nothing looks stuck there, aside from a handful of tiny stones lodged in the tread, the tire is new. Would a bearing issue warrant emergency status?

I don't believe bearings are any sort of emergency, just annoying and could affect range. I personally doubt the issue is a bearing though.

Back