Front Tire Upgrade

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trust me, if you changed your wheels for a larger size and you had any problems with engine or transmission or braking system the dealers here in the UK would cry foul and so would BMW, it might be different in the states but here they'll try and squeeze out of any warranty work if there's even a hint that it could have been caused by an unauthorised modification.

Same goes for insurance companies.

Boxbrownie said:
Trust me, if you changed your wheels for a larger size and you had any problems with engine or transmission or braking system the dealers here in the UK would cry foul and so would BMW, it might be different in the states but here they'll try and squeeze out of any warranty work if there's even a hint that it could have been caused by an unauthorised modification.

Same goes for insurance companies.

But what if you just put taller profile tires on instead? Perhaps a set of all season mud and snow tires..... I have never heard of that affecting any warranty in the US, but perhaps it is different in the UK what with your crazy MOT and all. ;)

This is all a moot point anyway as we all know that alternative tires are just not available yet. Still, they will be eventually and people will put them on i3's or i5's or whatever and the world will keep on turning.

Regarding the "plus 1" thing: I called my local tire guy and he totally agreed with the poster who said that plus 1 usually referred to going up an inch in rim size. He also said that they use that term when talking to cheap bastards like me who would never change rims, but want bigger tires and in that case it means the next taller profile in the same rim size. So I learned something this week!

I am leasing, so I probably won't change my tires. But our next EV will most likely be a keeper and if choices are available, I will get the smallest dia rims and once the OEM tires are worn put the tallest tires I can fit. A reduction in range does not mean much to me given our usage profile for these vehicles, but an increase in ride comfort does. We usually drive between 5 and 20 miles a day and plug in at night with occasional longer trips: I can easily swap a softer ride for a 10% reduction in range and not even notice.

WoodlandHills said:
But what if you just put taller profile tires on instead? Perhaps a set of all season mud and snow tires..... I have never heard of that affecting any warranty in the US, but perhaps it is different in the UK what with your crazy MOT and all. ;)

Exactly the same applies, if its not an approved size ie in the manual/handbook/door sticker etc, its a modification and will be deemed as such by the dealer/manufacturer,insurance company.

Yes crazy MoT eh......keeping all those unsafe vehicles off the road :lol:

Another item...a bigger tire/wheel will add to the unsprung weight which generally is a negative factor for handling when the road gets lumpy. It may be better for a sharp impact like a small hole, but not for dips and frost heaves, etc. It also puts a bigger, constant wear factor onto the springs and shocks.

It's all a cost/benefit tradeoff. But people often do not take into consideration some of the ramifications.

Back