Garage Door and Charge Cable

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking of buying an i3 soon, but still researching some questions.

Where I live I can't install a charger external to my one car garage, but I can easily install it inside the garage. However, there isn't room in the garage given that there two BMW bikes in there, etc. I can park immediately outside of the garage, but am concerned about constantly shutting the garage door on the cable.

Does anyone have a similar setup and/or suggestions? How are you running the cable? Thanks.

easiest is to channel a small groove where the door closes so it sits over the cable.

Most overhead garage doors I've had actually stop short by 1/2 to 1 inch and only the seal contacts the floor. Unless yours if different you should be OK running the cord under the door.

I installed a garage door threshold and cut a 1.5" trough thru it to allow the charger cable to pass thru.

i34me said:
Most overhead garage doors I've had actually stop short by 1/2 to 1 inch and only the seal contacts the floor. Unless yours if different you should be OK running the cord under the door.
While I'm sure it can be adjusted, mine is insulated and forms a tight seal at the bottom. I'll need to raise it up as others have suggested.

rgwi3cks said:
I installed a garage door threshold and cut a 1.5" trough thru it to allow the charger cable to pass thru.

busaman said:
easiest is to channel a small groove where the door closes so it sits over the cable.

How thick of a threshold product did you use? i.e. height to avoid or minimize pressure on the cable. How annoying has it been making sure the cable is in the groove? Enough that you wish for another solution or not a big deal?

Presumably all the charging plugs/handles/car are water proof since the car is exposed to the elements; it's only the charging unit itself that needs to be indoors. Is that true of the BMW unit?

Thank you for the information, it really helps. Getting excited about the idea of owning an i3!

On the rare occasion that I park and charge in the driveway I just use 1.5 inch diameter PVC to stop the garage door before it hits my charging cable. Works perfectly.

I have a mailbox next to my garage door. I mounted it on a hinge and put a 4" pvc pipe through the wall. The J1772 plug fits through it fine, and I fashioned two foam plugs, one with a notch for when the cable is there, and another when it is not. With a small standoff from the wall, the cord easily fits behind the mailbox when it is 'closed' and against the wall, but swings away to gain full access. With a one-car garage, my i3 tends to be the one sitting outside, but the cord of the EVSE is long enough to access the car either inside the garage or outside.

This website (found via google) sells various garage door weather stripping products: http://www.americandoorsupply.com/category-s/1869.htm

If you value the seal when the door is shut (to keep out leaves and varmints), get one of these and cut a channel in it (or cut a small channel in the concrete so the wire won't be pinched.

Something like http://www.americandoorsupply.com/product-p/tv35bln.htm with a channel cut in it, for example.

jadnashuanh said:
Most of the EVSE's are rated for outside use.
Part of my problem is that I live in a townhouse condo arrangement, so while I have a garage, etc. I'd need their permission to install anything outside of the garage. This might be the answer though.

I, too, live in a condo. Some are open to some changes, some aren't.

FWIW, the electrician that installed mine, said that all new construction in parts of Connecticut were required to install a EVSE, or at least prep for it.

Not all chargers are outdoor rated. My Clipper Creek lives outside and works in all sorts of weather but you must read carefully as not all of the Clipper Creek chargers are outdoor certified. I am sure it is the same for other manufacturers.

I think the threshold is 1" high so i doubled up just at the spot on either side of the channel and the cable naturally falls into place. not really a pain at all.

I park my i3 outside and house the charger inside the garage. The door does close on the cord but there is a 3/4" gap that allows the cord to be moved despite the seal resting on the cord.

Back