garage necessary?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tugyan

Hello,

I have a BMW i3 since 2015 Jan and i've been keeping the car at a garage at nights.
by August, i will be moving to a new place which has no garage and will have to leave the car outside at nights.
is it OK to leave the car outside at nights?
The weather is around 0 - 3 C degrees at nights in winter time and sometimes (like for a week or two weeks) it snows and more frequently it rains. İs it OK to leave the car outside and let it snow on to it?
Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Mine sits outside in the winter, and it can get that cold along with potentially a fair amount of snow. You don't want to park the car with a low battery charge unless you can plug it in, and you'll find a big advantage to having it plugged in and setting a departure time with cabin preconditioning whenever possible to maximize winter range (it warms the battery up), and warming up the car makes cleaning snow and ice off of it lots easier...if it's only a light coat, it might all melt off on its own. IOW, the basic car is not impacted by being parked in the cold any more than any car. No battery likes to get cold, and the 12vdc one is just as susceptible to damage if discharged then frozen as any other.

There was a great magazine ad a couple of years back about preconditioning on a BMW (sadly, not the i3) that showed a row of cars at the airport, all of them covered with snow except for the BMW which had been set to have the thing toasty when the owner's plane landed.

Hi everyone!
We are a team of students researching independent EV-Service opportunities.
We optimized our questionnaire after some suggestions and we would really appreciate your help by completing our survey a lot!

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/F6GMHWT

Thank you very much :)

Back