get a REx, no need for fast DC?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostatic

So in my other thread someone mentioned that Rex kinda makes the fast DC not as necessary. I may have found a car that is close to the desired spec but it doesn't have fast DC (it is a Rex). I originally was thinking that fast DC option would help future proof, but currently it is certainly not something that I can take much advantage of at the moment. Since I figure this will likely be a 3 year vehicle (lease or moving to next gen) seems like the fast DC might in fact be not a necessity, though would maybe nick resale value if I were to buy then sell. Thoughts?

I have the REx and I also look forward to the installation of DC fast charging stations. I would like to run on battery as much as possible without the REx kicking in. In addition, the EvGO Freedom Stations will provide free charging through the end of 2015--not bad. I don't mind running on the REx but I would like the best of both worlds.

I'm getting a Rex in the UK, where the ludicrous US constraint on activating until the SOC is down to 6.5% doesn't apply.
In the UK, leaving aside the fact that the Rapid charge CCS charging points are very few and far between as yet, I reckon the rapid ("fast" refers to the 3-hour charger, I believe) charge option is not worth the money.
If you've got the Rex, on longer journeys you will have to stop for 5 minutes every hour or so for fuel.
With the rapid DC charge option, and no Rex, you'll have to stop for 20 minutes every hour or so to recharge.
If you've got the Rex and the Rapid DC charge option, I can't see it getting used very much unless you like sitting around at service stations!

FrancisJeffries said:
I'm getting a Rex in the UK, where the ludicrous US constraint on activating until the SOC is down to 6.5% doesn't apply.
In the UK, leaving aside the fact that the Rapid charge CCS charging points are very few and far between as yet, I reckon the rapid ("fast" refers to the 3-hour charger, I believe) charge option is not worth the money.
If you've got the Rex, on longer journeys you will have to stop for 5 minutes every hour or so for fuel.
With the rapid DC charge option, and no Rex, you'll have to stop for 20 minutes every hour or so to recharge.
If you've got the Rex and the Rapid DC charge option, I can't see it getting used very much unless you like sitting around at service stations!

I have a Rex with the DC option, and find that with a little bit of planning I can get from near the Dartford Crossing to St Austell in Cornwall (260 miles) on two DC charges and approx 50 miles of petrol. The additional time in charging twice (say 30 mins each) is used for a comfort stop and coffee at Fleet and Exeter. Although not using the I3 as efficiently as possible I find this to not be a disadvantage. There is a charging point at West Knoyle where if one wanted to stop and eat with a two hour 7kw charge one could do the journey on electricity. I therefore feel that the REX with the DC option gives better options and future proofs against petrol price rises.

With the DC fast Charge and the REx, either one reduces the need for the other.

I did purchase both options on my i3, but I wonder If I'll ever get much chance to use the DCFC as there are currently none anywhere near me. If there happened to be one near where I'd needed it I'd go a bit out of my way to recharge rather than refuel on a long trip, but I wonder if that day will ever come.

I suppose I added the DCFC for completeness sake, so it would feel more like an EV than a PHEV.

I hate to be a broken record, but I think DC makes sense for Rex in the US in light of crippling. For me, the only viable option is to recharge before certain hills..

I ordered,the DC option but am now weighing up the advantages all because of a recent experiences.
I travel to London many times with a stop at Milton Keynes for a 25 min DC rapid charge. I also end up switching on the Rex for 20 miles before reaching Milton Keynes and reaching home on the return trip.
The issue is that the DC charge is not free, chargemaster have invoiced me £7 per 30 min charge. So my round trip to London (260 miles) is costing me £14 in electricity and approximately £6 in petrol, total £20.
If I decide not to do the DC charge my Rex would be on for an extra 140 miles which rounds up to approximately £18, total £24.
I shall try to do the journey withoutmthe dc charge to get some accurate figures.

BoMW said:
I ordered,the DC option but am now weighing up the advantages all because of a recent experiences.
I travel to London many times with a stop at Milton Keynes for a 25 min DC rapid charge. I also end up switching on the Rex for 20 miles before reaching Milton Keynes and reaching home on the return trip.
The issue is that the DC charge is not free, chargemaster have invoiced me £7 per 30 min charge. So my round trip to London (260 miles) is costing me £14 in electricity and approximately £6 in petrol, total £20.
If I decide not to do the DC charge my Rex would be on for an extra 140 miles which rounds up to approximately £18, total £24.
I shall try to do the journey withoutmthe dc charge to get some accurate figures.

How about London Gateway and Leicester both I believe CCS from Ecotricity. Currently free but need to register.

For me those two stations are in the wrong place, I'm topped out with charge leaving nottingham or London and really need a ecotricity near Northampton. Of course it's only a matter of time until ecotricity will want payment.

BoMW said:
For me those two stations are in the wrong place, I'm topped out with charge leaving nottingham or London and really need a ecotricity near Northampton. Of course it's only a matter of time until ecotricity will want payment.

There is also a ecotricity dc fast charger at Toddington services. I use this as its still free compared to chargemaster in M.k....
I have now used quite a few charge points and all are free except in Milton Keynes where there is a rather high concentration of them, I am there a lot too and it is very annoying about the cost so I don't use them.

I pass them regularly and their always empty, shame really!!

bishbosh said:
BoMW said:
For me.........payment.

There is also a ecotricity dc fast charger at Toddington services. I use this as its still free compared to chargemaster

I pass them regularly and their always empty, shame really!!

Toddington must be a recent addition but still not a good place for me. Northampton can't be far on e list now to have a CCS installed? Ecotricity did tell me that they're installing one every week!

BoMW said:

Beside the costs, fast charging will fill the battery until 85-90% which allows you to do a 60 miles. Filling your petrol tank gives you a 80 miles range, cost a bit more but you fill your tank in about 5 minutes against 30 minutes charging the battery.

DC charging is only interesting if:
- DC charging is free
- You have a lot of time
- You care more for the environment
- You dislike oil countries and companies

If you're trying to go a longer distance than the battery can take you, regardless of whether you have the REx or not, if a fast charge is available, it makes sense to top both 'tanks' up, as then, you won't run into the situation where your battery charge is too low and the REx can't keep up. The i3 relying on the REx to provide the power isn't all that efficient - there are other cars of similar size that do better. It's only when your battery is topped off that it shines. Where I live, with my local rates, it cost me about $0.20/mile for my ICE for fuel, and about $0.05/mile for the i3 BEV. You'd easily double or more the cost/mile when the REx is running.

On a DC fast charge, the car can accept up to 50Kw, but, in the USA, the last press release on a DC fast charge unit from BMW (low cost DC charging), the unit 'only' provides 25Kw, so it will not reach the 80% figure in 20-minutes since it is half the size the car can take. They did that since it is easier to consider one, you don't need as big of a main power service to accommodate one. It's still way too expensive for the average user at home, plus, few homes have the power service needed to accommodate one. 400vdc, high current power supplies are not inexpensive, and you'd definitely want a well-designed on so as to not damage the vehicle when you plug it in.

The goal for any i3 user should be to minimize the use of fossil fuels while driving - the fast charge option can help make that happen.

jadnashuanh said:
On a DC fast charge, the car can accept up to 50Kw, but, in the USA, the last press release on a DC fast charge unit from BMW (low cost DC charging), the unit 'only' provides 25Kw, so it will not reach the 80% figure in 20-minutes since it is half the size the car can take. They did that since it is easier to consider one, you don't need as big of a main power service to accommodate one. It's still way too expensive for the average user at home, plus, few homes have the power service needed to accommodate one.....

Just FYI, the existing eVgo 50kW Chademo stations in the SF Bay Area that are being upgrades to do SAE DC are all at 50kW. I think the 24kW version is a low cost model that BMW hopes will get selected by businesses who might otherwise installing only L2 chargers. I don't think anyone aiming to build a "fast charge" network would opt for less than 50kW.

Back