Going for an 185 mi drive today in my BEV .. Wish Me Luck!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zzzoom3 said:
drb said:
Please let me know where the DC fast charger is in Irvine. I can't find it on my ChargePoint web site. Most appreciate.
Use plugshare.com to find chargers. It's more complete than ChargePoint and allows users to "check-in" so others know if the station is in use as well as posting other good to know comments and pictures of the location.

The Irvine charger is a 3rd party charger from a local company called "EV Pump". $5 per charge and not part of the Chargepoint, eVgo, or Blink networks. The location is Quail Hill Shopping Center, 6783 Quail Hill Parkway, Irvine, CA 92602
I found another SAE CCS charger in Irvine which I didn't realize was there:
  • 6200 Irvine Boulevard, Irvine, CA 92620

Zzzoom3 said:
WOW .. they are going to need to install one of those take a number gizmos you used to see at the delicatessen, bakery, or butcher shop! The Freedom Station I used in Hermosa Beach had 2 DCFCs; one for CHAdeMO and one for SAE CCS. The other charger from an independent company was a single charger with 2 plugs. Not sure if it would allow simultaneous charging? Don't see why not but each vehicle would be limited to half power I would presume.

This was a "Freedom Station" too. When I plugged in i3 and hit "start," it said "waiting for power to be available." After a couple of minutes I heard a click from the Chademo charger, and I started charging at (seemingly) full speed. I assumed that I got fast charging as soon as Leaf dropped to fast charge-- but maybe it was stress testing the power grid to seem it a 100kW load would cause a voltage drop. Not sure. The screen doesn't report power delivered, but the SOC was going up at what seemed to be flu 50 kW speed....

There were also a couple of Level 2 chargers (which I don't think are free). Perhaps the etiquette should be that if you drive up and the charge is occupied, but >80 SOC, you can grab the fast-charge cord, but you plug him into the Level 2 (swiping your cars and paying if necessary). People should list cell phone numbers in charge port in case the car needs to be remote unlocked to release charger handle from car....

These chargers are often configured so 2-4 cars can be parked within reach of the charge cable....

We have to have a way of sensibly and courteously sharing these chargers. I'm also OK giving BEV cars priority over REX cars.

Back