got a temporary battery warning and drivetrain error

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoopycr

I have 4,200 mi on my i3 bev with zero problems before today. This morning I started the car, and had a red battery warning light. So I decided to drive it to bmw to have them take a look. Sure enough, the display went bonkers, with cascading errors until it finally said drive train error.

I was on a main street, and turned into a small street, but the car died before I could get it in a parking lot. Tons of different warning lights and error messages: battery discharging error, drive train, key remote not found, etc. So I'm frantically trying to get the car started, putting the key against the steering wheel, nothing for about 4 minutes. Then it finally starts with a yellow battery discharging light. I was able to limp to the parking lot. I sat there and called bmw to get a tow truck. While I was on hold, I started it up again, all warning lights mysteriously gone.

I drove it back home without any problems. So should I take it to bmw, and risk having them take it apart and find nothing wrong. Or should I keep driving it until the problem appears and then take it to bmw? We have a second car, so its not a big deal if my little i3 is at the car hospital. Again, zero problems before today. I can live it the car brain needed a quick reboot. Just don't want ice mechanics playing and poking around with complex bev system.

Thanks

snoopycr said:
I have 4,200 mi on my i3 bev with zero problems before today. This morning I started the car, and had a red battery warning light. So I decided to drive it to bmw to have them take a look. Sure enough, the display went bonkers, with cascading errors until it finally said drive train error.

I was on a main street, and turned into a small street, but the car died before I could get it in a parking lot. Tons of different warning lights and error messages: battery discharging error, drive train, key remote not found, etc. So I'm frantically trying to get the car started, putting the key against the steering wheel, nothing for about 4 minutes. Then it finally starts with a yellow battery discharging light. I was able to limp to the parking lot. I sat there and called bmw to get a tow truck. While I was on hold, I started it up again, all warning lights mysteriously gone.

I drove it back home without any problems. So should I take it to bmw, and risk having them take it apart and find nothing wrong. Or should I keep driving it until the problem appears and then take it to bmw? We have a second car, so its not a big deal if my little i3 is at the car hospital. Again, zero problems before today. I can live it the car brain needed a quick reboot. Just don't want ice mechanics playing and poking around with complex bev system.

Thanks

If it were mine i would take it to the dealer, at least they could read the faults recorded by the code registers.

All of the electronics are run from the 12vdc battery. It sort of sounds like you may have a loose connection to/from that battery which is located in front near the firewall. It's much smaller than a typical car battery since it doesn't need to power a starter motor and turn over the engine. The vehicle stores, or at least tries to, error messages into memory of the vehicle, and some of it also is stored in the FOB's memory, so the dealer can read at least some of the history. I would make an appointment and get it looked at.

I've had both. After a software update I've had no drivetrain errors and only get battery warning after the car has been plugged in for 12+ hours. Both will be fixed by the next software update.

hi stillageek,

How long did they keep your car for the update? What version is your software, and how do I find out what version sw I have?

Thanks

Back