Heat Output: BEV vs REX

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BEV has the heat pump, but the REX does not because the gas tank is in that volume. Obviously, the heat pump is more efficient, but with the generator that should be less of an issue. My question is:

Does anyone know what the heating output (e.g. BTUs) of the two versions is? Basically, besides efficiency, is there any difference in performance between the two? E.g. does one or the other: work faster, put out more heat, work better when it gets really cold?*

*My experience with heat pumps and houses is that they tend to work well until it gets very cold (sub 20F) , then they work very poorly. Not sure how applicable that is here.

A BEV with a heat pump has backup electrical resistance heating. The initial response may actually be better with the REx without the heatpump, but I've not had issues with my BEV and we had a bunch of days in the teens or lower (F) this past winter. Preconditioning helps, probably more so on the REx, since resistance heating is a 1:1 energy:heat use verses more like 1:3-4 on the BEV. Combine that with the extra weight on the REx version and you have the main reason why the EV distance is not as great on the REx.

Back