High Voltage Distributor failure

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vb996

My i3 wouldn't heat the interior anymore. After two (!) weeks of investigation the dealer found out that there is a failure in the high voltage distributor. Unfortunately a spare part is not available. BMW assumes that it will be available by the end of FEB. Then they need to build it in, which is quite complex because battery pack has to be removed, as well as the engine.
Dealer told me that I'm not the only one, in total they now have 3 cars with the same issue.
Not only the car is failing, BMW i customer service is poor as well. They fail to contact you pro-actively, don't talk about compensation and fail to deliver spare parts within reasonable timeframes.
So far: big fail.... :cry:

Jeremy said:
Any news on these major failures?

I'm expecting delivery soon and somewhat nervous.

My suggestion is to make a contract with BMW stating the compensation in case of failure. The reason is that it seems that there is no adequate compensation in case you have problems like I have.
BMW i promised me to call me today with a solution, they failed to provide a solution. The solution is now postponed to tomorrow, but to be honest I'm not very confident that they will provide a solution which makes me happy. "Freude am fahren" is far away... BMW i3 becomes BMW nie (German for not...) :(

Finally BMW called back. They made excuses for the situation they caused. Unfortunately they can (will?) not speed up the delivery of the spare part that is required for the repair of my car. So I still have to wait 3-4 weeks :x :x
They offered me to compensate the additional cost I have to make. As it is stated in the guarantee disclosure documentation, BMW is not obliged to compensate any other "damage for the substantial inconvenience". I must say that I'm disappointed about this. By doing like this, they lost a (loyal) client... The i3 has been the last BMW for me to buy.

vb996 said:
Finally BMW called back. They made excuses for the situation they caused. Unfortunately they can (will?) not speed up the delivery of the spare part that is required for the repair of my car. So I still have to wait 3-4 weeks :x :x
They offered me to compensate the additional cost I have to make. As it is stated in the guarantee disclosure documentation, BMW is not obliged to compensate any other "damage for the substantial inconvenience". I must say that I'm disappointed about this. By doing like this, they lost a (loyal) client... The i3 has been the last BMW for me to buy.

I do not understand your concerns as you wrote: "They offered me to compensate the additional cost I have to make." despite their statement that they have excluded that in their documentation.
I think that any manufacturer excludes that.
What do they have to do more then?

After 6 weeks I got my car back!
It works fine again and drives fantastic. Much better than the X1 they provided for the time it was in the garage.

Back