How sensitive is the Tire Pressure Monitoring System?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodlandHills

I ask because I had a flat last night w/o warning from the TPMS. As we pulled out of the Hollywood Bowl last night and onto the freeway we felt and heard three thumps from the right rear. The car drove and sounded just fine so we continued on towards home, after about 10 minutes/10 miles, the car gave a hard shimmy and the TPMS message popped up on the screen. By the time we got off the roadway and onto the shoulder the tire was flat.
I was surprised that the system did not give any warning of a slowly deflating tire as, looking back, it was going low as we pulled onto the freeway: the left turn at 35 or so loaded the deflating right rear tire and made the thumping noise.
The car is at the tire store now awaiting a back ordered tire since the sidewall was destroyed on the long drive to the shoulder: lots of traffic last night.

It depends on if the sensors were properly initialized. In my experience, they trigger an alert when one drops more than about 10% of the initialized value, but if that was not set properly (maybe never?) who knows. If you go to the status screen, what does the display show? All green, and what are the levels. Note, you have to drive for awhile to get them up, and to reset (it will show a bar graph as it progresses towards the reset). FWIW, the status will show green if they have higher pressure than the initialized value.

Back