How small a space can the automatic parking cope with?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc1

In considering whether to add the automatic parking gizmo to the spec, I'm wondering whether the system is quite conservative, or can work magic?

What's the tightest space it can get into?

Is this specified somewhere in terms of the total length of the space or room front and back?

Or maybe somebody can tell from their experience?

What happens if you try to get it park in as space that it thinks it can't cope with?

Thanks

Think I read somewhere that it can park itself in a space which is as small as 22 inches longer than the car itself.

XXL said:
http://youtu.be/gZxov9JiPpM
hmmmm, Looks like more than 22"in that example [thanks]. The conundrum is whether it's worth paying for a gadget that does something you can do easily vs paying for gadget that makes something tricky a lot easier. That space looks really easy.

If you have any skills at parallel parking, don't bother with automatic. The i3 is so easy to maneuver and has great visibility with the backup camera (that is a must!) that you can do better by yourself without the angst. My i3 has auto parking (it was bundled with the backup camera that I wanted to have), and I don't think I'd ever use it in a difficult situation. I played with it for a bit and found it works, but I'd be so apprehensive about other traffic moving about I don't think I'd ever think to use it.

Just practice a bit after you get the i3 and you'll be doing it much faster and smoother than the machine does in short order.

--Woof!

I've had it my F10 since 2010. I use it in anger maybe once a month if that. It is great at getting into tight spots. The reverse camera is a must for tight spaces. It's a pity that you can't have them as separate options. On the F10 you have to control the throttle and brake so I am looking forward to fully auto one button press.

It's a bit fussy sometimes. When you think it should find a gap and it doesn't select it. Other times you think I can't possibly get in there and it says yup and it is really impressive.

I think I've learned that you have to select it before you get to the slot otherwise the front sensor doesn't activate in time to acknowledge the slot.

I agree the i3 is way easier to manoeuvre anyway.

Back