How to increase i3 Rex range

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a3po911

Just saw an old post which can increase gas range to 101 mile, unbelievable!!!

http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3888&p=34302&hilit=increased#p34302

My firmware version is I001-16-03-505, looks not old, but only display 53 mile without tank coding, even after coding tank's capacity , I think it would be increased 30% to 68-70 mile, how can I make to 101 miles?

Thanks

The predicted gas range depends on the amount of gas and the way you drive. If you drive on electric very frugally you will see the predicted gas range increase.

The estimate of range on petrol (gas) tends to be very innaccurate. I typically use my REx on a run of around 110 miles, and when I turn the REx on at 75% the estimated range is shown as around 80 miles. After driving about 10 miles, it is usually shown as around 85 miles (a total of 95 miles range). A real world standard range with my i3 is around 100 miles per 9 litre tank of petrol.

PhilH said:
The estimate of range on petrol (gas) tends to be very innaccurate. I typically use my REx on a run of around 110 miles, and when I turn the REx on at 75% the estimated range is shown as around 80 miles. After driving about 10 miles, it is usually shown as around 85 miles (a total of 95 miles range). A real world standard range with my i3 is around 100 miles per 9 litre tank of petrol.

He's showing total about 170 mile range.

I left my car at dealer this afternoon for software update, they told me a full software upgrade takes about 12-14 hours, will see if range increased tomorrow.

The ReX has a range of 18.8kWhrs for. 2 US gallon tank and about 21.5kWhrs fir the full 9 litres. How far you can drive on that energy depends on your miles per kWhr.

a3po911 said:
I left my car at dealer this afternoon for software update, they told me a full software upgrade takes about 12-14 hours, will see if range increased tomorrow.
Your estimated range will likely be greater because the software update will have deleted your recent driving history upon which the estimated range is calculated. The default estimated range with no driving history seems to be unreasonably high.

What would be interesting is whether your driving efficiency (mi/kWh or kWh/100 km) has improved due to some sort of tweak that the upgrade implemented. I think that this is unlikely and that your typical driving efficiency and actual range won't have changed.

Back