i3 Coding Screws up Wireless Internet "Connected Drive"

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbdickey

Coding my car was clearly the best upgrade I have done. Finally I was able to get my car to do what it really should have from day one.

It took me a while to figure out, and make sure I had my ducks in a row, but I was ultimately able to use the cable to code my BMW i3 Rex. I successfully hooked it up, ran the included software, and was able to change things like: get rid of the annoying welcome gongs, get rid of the seat belt warning gongs, enable full use of 2.1 gallon gas tank, enable AM radio, and change it so my audio system turns off automatically when I open the door to exit the car. All things most anyone would want, but I guess that's besides the point.

Back when I was making these coding changes, about a month and a half ago, at the end of the process you tell the coding software to write the changes to the car, and it causes the car to reboot to update the new changes. Within the computer software it said that all changes were written successfully, but upon the reboot of the car system, there was some sort of an error message displayed on the car screen. I apologize but I did not write down what that message was. At the time I thought "oh great, now I've really screwed something up", but the message went away and everything was working as I had hoped it would.

Fast forward a month and a half, and just this week I noticed that my "ConnectedDrive" system would not connect to the wireless internet anymore. I don't really use it in the car (it is 3G and really slow), but I do use it occasionally on my phone to connect with the car for being able to remotely check the car's battery level, and remotely turn on the air conditioner. When I first discovered it, I thought that maybe the BMW subscription with AT&T for the internal SIM on the card had expired. I set a meeting with my local BMW service center to have the problem checked out.

BMW had the car for a day, were able to repair the wireless internet problem, said that it was not related to the SIM subscription, they said it had to do with some sort of error code in the programming, they reprogrammed everything, and now all of my custom coding is gone (but wireless internet ConnectedDrive is working again).

With my custom coding gone, I hate listening to those welcome gongs, and not being able to listen to my AM radio, but it seems like something I did in my coding prevented the wireless internet "ConnectedDrive" from working. Has anyone heard of this? Can anyone offer me any advice, before I go back in there, try coding again, and once again screw up ConnectedDrive? I am going to do it again since the coding modifications are worth more to me than wireless internet ConnectedDrive, but before I do it again, I wanted to check with all of you. Once I code again, I'm going to have to wait a good while to go back to my local BMW service, or I'm sure they will cry foul.

Among the items in your coding list, start with the most important change, code it to your desired setting, and then check the operation of ConnectedDrive. Then go down the list. Rinse and repeat. ;)

Thanks a lot for the good advice. I will definitely utilize. I have also learned: need to use the latest E-sys software, need to clear DTC error codes if I receive them using the transmitter function, expect to loose coding when bringing ones car into BMW for service, and finally that ConnectedDrive is in a different module from the coding functions that I changed and should not have been affected. Maybe it was a coincidence.

With regard to AM radio, I'm in the US, enjoy the talk, can't seem to find it on FM, tried for a while streaming it from my phone, but that was too much effort. Cheers!

I did most of the coding you described, had no issues with accessing the car with the app. It is unlikely that your problem had anything to do with the coding.

Back