i3 Drive event - 19 inch vs 20 inch wheels/tires

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHP

So I attended a drive event yesterday and had a couple of observations

1. They let me drive alone on a pre-determined route (about 2 miles) but you were able to drive around more if cars were available.
2. BMW NA people were providing info and Q&A so it bypassed the potential lack of knowledge from the dealer people.
3. Had a chance to drive both the 19 and 20 inch wheels/tires on different i3's and here are my observations
- The 19s were not as "go-kart twitchy" when doing slight movements of the steering wheel.
- Ride seemed a little more forgiving
- On spirited turning under strong acceleration, the 19s seemed to elicit less involvement from the DSC than the 20s (that sideways wheel hop effect)
- However, the 20 inch wheel/tire combos seemed to be a little quieter than the 19s. There seemed to be a low frequency rumble from the 19s that I didn't notice on the 20s

Overall - I liked the 19s over the 20s except for the louder road noise - anyone else notice this?

I test drove i3s this week during the BMW NA events at my (two) local dealers on both the 19s and 20s. I did multiple loops with each car for a total of 20 miles or so. To me, the 19s were both quieter and more planted (I think). The 20s didn't seem any more grippy, but I could "feel" more of the road, perhaps a little skittish (maybe) and they were a little noisier than the 19s. The 20s look hot with the orange however IMHO.

Back