I3 Engine Start Mod

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idleup

Been reading up a bit and I understand in Europe the driver can start the kicker engine at will, is there a software mod we install so we have that capability?.

It would be nice to on occasion to be able to start the engine just to make sure its going to run when you need it.

Thanks

Mike

Would seem to me this can not be too difficult since the overseas version has the "Hold" feature. Of all the coding available out there this is one of the most important.

I understand for certification of electric distance verses gasoline distance the electric has to go further and they have to run the battery to 6percent but we all know in real world driving this is not working for US driving.

I paid $4K for a generator, please let me make the decision when I need it and not some tree hugger in Washinton.

I like others would happilely pay for this coding.

If you don't want to code this yourself, the folks at dvdinmotion.com (i guess the person there to contact is Lucie), have put together a solution that runs off of a USB stick. You pay for some number of features that you want unlocked/coded and they give you a USB stick with the program that runs automatically from the USB. Kind of pricey (I think its $150 for a few features, including hold state), but really simple. Folks that purchased it have reported that it works fine.

Jeffj said:
If you don't want to code this yourself, the folks at dvdinmotion.com (i guess the person there to contact is Lucie), have put together a solution that runs off of a USB stick. You pay for some number of features that you want unlocked/coded and they give you a USB stick with the program that runs automatically from the USB. Kind of pricey (I think its $150 for a few features, including hold state), but really simple. Folks that purchased it have reported that it works fine.

This may be the most useful post ever on this forum!! Thanks.... :p

Sparky, I would like to get my KLE replaced and all software updated before coding. I know I can recode with the USB memory stick whenever I like, but I would prefer to avoid any conflicts over the warranty: my car is leased. Once I have a new KLE, I should be able to avoid the service dept and any software updates for a long while, maybe until the end of the lease....

As has been pointed out, just because one's KLE has been replaced doesn't mean that the firmware has been updated to remove the restricted charging rate. Until the firmware has been updated, even with a new KLE, the charging rate won't increase, and the risk of code modifications being discovered when the firmware is updated remains.

I emailed them with my VIN and a request for info on what changes they are able to make. I am curious to see what is on offer and for how much, I will let you all know what they say.

Jeffj said:

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply - quick question - since the coding is USB ported is it not a temp thing that resets when the stick is pulled back out.

Thanks for the link - the only thing I can find wrong with my I3 is the simple fact I can't start the darn motor when I want to - other than that the I3 is a work of automotive art!

Thanks

Mike

I don't know any more about the DVDInMotion solution than I've posted. I'm just porting information from the facebook group over here. I suggest contacting the folks at DVDInMotion directly. I have not purchased this, but several folks on the facebook group have and they've reported that it works well.

I suspect (inferring from posts) that inserting the USB and running the program "codes" the i3 in effectively the same manner as using coding solution and the OBD port.

The info on their page suggests that one can rerun the stick and remove the changes if desired. Insert to install and insert again to uninstall. If so, this would be perfect for a leased car.

Ok guys looks like we're in luck - the biggest problem with the I3 might be solved - this is the email I just received from DVDinMotion

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your interest in our services. Our software is fully compatible with your car and you are welcome to place an order. We can also offer following options:

Package A for $149: Enable Hold State of Charge (Rex HSOC)
Now you can finally use the Range Extender as you always wished. The software will add the Range Extender option to Settings menu and there you can turn on Rex when battery charge drops below 75%.

Package B for $149: Enable USB video playback & unlock video in motion
Your navigation unit is perfectly capable of playing video files from USB flash drive. You can watch MP4, AVI, MKV and other video files in full HD resolution. We will unlock the playback to work while the car is moving, so the passenger can watch movies while you drive.

Package A+B for $199: Enable HSOC option + USB video in motion
All features in packages A and B are available at discounted rate of $199.
Every installation file can be also used to revert the feature to factory setting. The software works like a toggle switch, running the installation repeatedly will turn the feature on and off again.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me anytime.

--
Best regards,

Lucie Vernerova
Sales Manager

Idleup said:
Ok guys looks like we're in luck - the biggest problem with the I3 might be solved - this is the email I just received from DVDinMotion

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your interest in our services. Our software is fully compatible with your car and you are welcome to place an order. We can also offer following options:

Package A for $149: Enable Hold State of Charge (Rex HSOC)
Now you can finally use the Range Extender as you always wished. The software will add the Range Extender option to Settings menu and there you can turn on Rex when battery charge drops below 75%.

Package B for $149: Enable USB video playback & unlock video in motion
Your navigation unit is perfectly capable of playing video files from USB flash drive. You can watch MP4, AVI, MKV and other video files in full HD resolution. We will unlock the playback to work while the car is moving, so the passenger can watch movies while you drive.

Package A+B for $199: Enable HSOC option + USB video in motion
All features in packages A and B are available at discounted rate of $199.
Every installation file can be also used to revert the feature to factory setting. The software works like a toggle switch, running the installation repeatedly will turn the feature on and off again.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me anytime.

--
Best regards,

Lucie Vernerova
Sales Manager

This looks like a good option if you only want one or two things changed, but it looks like $149 for the first item and then $50 for each additional item, maybe at least based on the quote. In reality if like some of us I would like to do about 4 or 5 separate items. I would like the Rex hold capability plus, remove annoying confirm screen, adjust auto Rex level to 12 % SOC, and remove seat belt warning chime and light.

I was told by an IT guy with first hand experience that the manual method isn't really all that hard, it is just tedious the first time to figure out the menus and make sure you register the change correctly. Plus at $50 out of pocket cost for the needed cable and token key it is a heck of a lot cheaper if you want a lot of changes. Of course if this becomes a warranty issue the ability to change things back to stock and redo the changes at will without hooking up a computer every time is indeed attractive.

Myself, I really don't have any real issues other than the absence of a start option - regarding the warranty issue, I really don't feel that is anything to worry about - first off, there is virtually no one at the dealers that even have a clue what these cars are about or how to fix them. Other then diagnostics the techs are merely "Part Changers" at this point because they are so new to the industry.

In addition, if you had the start option installed - there is about a .000000001 % chance anyone would even know it - and if it was discovered, they would not even know it was not supposed to be there to begin with.

Let's face it no car is perfect there is always some annoying problems - but they are tolerable, not being able to start your engine is not acceptable period!

Regards

Mike

I don't think your assessment of the service departments is correct, maybe Vinnie can jump in here. Certainly, here in Silicon Valley, the dealers are very savvy in detecting firmware changes. After years of seeing "chipped" cars and coding changes, I wouldn't assume BMW doesn't have some tracerware that traps changes.

I will probably opt for the Rex hold option, but with my eyes open to the risks of running a foul of the warrantee.

Well watching the post's on here and the BMW group on Facebook I would say a number of owners have already coded their cars, and one person there has had their i3 in for a software update and they stated it partially wiped out his coding. He did not comment on if the BMW service dept noticed the coding or not. Additionally when he tried recoding the wiped out coding he found that the BMW update required a software update to a newer version in order to recode the lost code.

I quote here but I removed his name:

"Last time my car was in, the dealer updated my software which (partially) wiped out my codes. When I tried to code it again, it didn't work. Esys gave me errors. I had been using v53 of the PSdZdata. I installed v.54.2_PSdZData_Lite and was then able to recode it"

A response from someone else was and I quote again but removed the name:

"Your PSdZData version much contain the data for the I-step version of your car. v53 had up to 07-503, I think now the i3 gets 11-something when getting updated at the dealer, hence the need for a more recent PSdZdata. If you look in the directories, you can see which I-step versions are included."

These quotes were from the last 24 hours.

I get basically what is being said but don't fully understand the details and ramifications; however, I found it interesting and there was no mention of any technician commenting on the fact that the owner coded his car. I know I read elsewhere that the software update in fact takes the car from 07-503 to 11-502.

Back