i3 features and technology

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yiiikes

I went to the LA Autoshow last November to drive the i3 and also to survey the other EV offerings. There were many and a couple that had me scratching my head about my i3 decision - the Chevy Spark EV and Mitsubishi i-MiEV. They were so much less money, especially the Spark. And it had 400 lb-ft of torque! So I went home and made a spreadsheet of standard and optional features to compare the vehicles to see which one had the best value. I haven't owned a BMW in a while and I was unfamiliar with many of the terms so I needed definitions. Long story short, I generated this index of i3 features with definitions mostly from the i3 brochure and the BMW Technology Guide, it may be useful in your decision making. I don't believe there is another vehicle, EV or ICE, with this much safety and convenience technology packed into it, especially compliance cars, the Spark wasn't even close. I am back on the i3 strong!

http://nebula.wsimg.com/d3553ac9ff4...6607A512B9EE5FADB&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Darren

Yiiikes said:
I went to the LA Autoshow last November to drive the i3 and also to survey the other EV offerings. There were many and a couple that had me scratching my head about my i3 decision - the Chevy Spark EV and Mitsubishi i-MiEV. They were so much less money, especially the Spark. And it had 400 lb-ft of torque! So I went home and made a spreadsheet of standard and optional features to compare the vehicles to see which one had the best value. I haven't owned a BMW in a while and I was unfamiliar with many of the terms so I needed definitions. Long story short, I generated this index of i3 features with definitions mostly from the i3 brochure and the BMW Technology Guide, it may be useful in your decision making. I don't believe there is another vehicle, EV or ICE, with this much safety and convenience technology packed into it. I am back on the i3 strong!

http://nebula.wsimg.com/df513bf3a71...6607A512B9EE5FADB&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Darren

Many thanks for doing this. It's a compelling list for sure.

Thanks for putting this together, Darren. The SparkEV would have been an option for me as well, if not for the fact that it's a compliance car, with GM having no foreseeable plans to make it available beyond California & Oregon.

John,
Yeah, TiburonH and I are spoiled, we get ALL of the cars. My brother is in Utah wanting a Spark - single guy that only drives 5k miles a year and can't justify the extra cash for the i3 - not sure how he is going to do that, maybe I have to buy it for him somehow.

Thanks Darren. Your description for "Tire pressure monitor" may be mistaken. You've described an indirect tire pressure monitoring system, but current BMWs use a direct system, with sensors in each wheel that measure the current pressure and transmit it via radio to the car. You also might include the heat pump (standard on BEv, not available on REx) and heated seats (optional).

Thanks for the input Mark.

Yeah, there is an option called Heat at Rest on my list that I could not find a description for, i assume that involves the heat pump. If you could reply with a description of how it works or whatever I would be glad to update the list.

I got this from the BMW Technology Guide
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/...ml?source=index&article=tyre_defect_indicator

"Tyre Defect Indicator (TDI).The Tyre Defect Indicator (TDI) alerts you immediately if pressure in a tyre drops, enhancing safety and helping prevent further tyre damage. This electronic system lights a warning symbol in the instrument panel (supplemented by a warning system in some models) in the event of tyre damage. If the pressure in a tyre drops, the tyre’s radius shrinks and, as a result, the wheel rotation speed rises. TDI uses sensors to monitor the rate at which the wheels rotate and the Anti-lock Brake System, ABS, compares the data for individual wheels."

Is this different than the Tire Pressure Monitor? There was no entry for the TPM.

I can definitely add the heated seats though. And it looks like the sunroof and the power seats are going away based on the configurator.

Thanks again!

According to the handbook there are two systems for the tyre pressures.

Tyre Pressure Monitor (TPM) : The system monitors the tyre pressure in the four fitted tyres. The system warns if the inflation pressure in one or more tyres has fallen considerably. To do this, the sensors in the tyre valves measure the tyre pressure and tyre temperature.

Runflat Indicator (RPA) : The system identifies a loss of pressure by comparing the speeds of rotation of the individual wheels while the vehicle is in motion. If a tyre loses pressure its diameter changes. This in turn alters the rotational speed of the corresponding wheel. This is detected and reported as a flat tyre. The system does not measure the tyre pressure as such.

I had a quick look in the manual of an i3 and it described the run-flat system of pressure monitoring - i.e. no sensors in the wheel, just a warning if the diameter changes...

Steamrunner said:
I had a quick look in the manual of an i3 and it described the run-flat system of pressure monitoring - i.e. no sensors in the wheel, just a warning if the diameter changes...
There are two sections about it in the handbook (so easy to miss) but there is a sensor in each wheel. My post ^^ was just copied straight from the handbook.

p.s. welcome to the forum :)

Steamrunner said:
To be clear, the TPM and Run Flat Indicator systems are two completely separate, independent systems that have no parts in common. One can fail completely, and the other will still warn you of an impending or current flat situation. It took me a while to wrap my head around the fact that they work in tandem to provide a comforting level of redundancy.

In the UK version, this is standard: "12V compressor with integrated sealant injection bottle and hose". This would not be needed if i3 had runflat tyres?

Steamrunner said:
Yiiikes said:
So they are both present on the i3? Just want to be clear so I can update the list accurately.
The USA Features and Specs list (http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont...i3/BMWi3RangeExtender/Features_and_Specs.aspx) lists only "Tire Pressure Monitor" and does not list TDI (Tyre Defect Indicator), or whatever it may be called in its USA form. I wouldn't assume that the presence of system descripiton in the i3 manual necessarily means it is so equipped. The definitions list may be a generic one that encompasses all BMW vehicles.

Would one of you owners please check to see if you have a TDI indicator warning anywhere in the dash display, as well as a separate tire pressure warning display?

My wife's 2007 3 series has both systems, but I'm pretty sure that was because it came with run flat tires.

From the German configurator they show the pressure, and not only a problem:

http://cosy02.bmwgroup.com/next/cosySec?COSY-EU-100-7331c9Nv2Z7d5yKtHS9PxP8O303BRvWPfNwEUnVI19mhL%25lZyv4NHP0MA8mFB9%25UtNDPlNcfZ7dWM7DNguBmlD9Uwmu1R7Gq3A89RIhNQSht%25lZyh3NA%250MA82XM9%25UfXpZKLayVG8YCjgkRCzChe2B5GaXbtClxN8snX%25Dj

They also show the rapair kit, that would not be needed if you had runflat tyres:

http://cosy04.bmwgroup.com/next/cosySec?COSY-EU-100-7331c9Nv2Z7d5yKtHS9PxP8O303BRvWPfNwEUnVI19mhL%25lZyv4NHP0MA8mFB9%25UtNDPlNcfZ7dWM7DNguBmlD9Uwmu1R7Gq3A89RIhNQSht%25lZyh3NA%250MA82XM9%25UfXpZKLayVG8YCjgkRCzChe2C5GaXbtClxN8snX%25Dj

Yiiikes said:
John,
My brother is in Utah wanting a Spark EV - single guy that only drives 5k miles a year and can't justify the extra cash for the i3 - not sure how he is going to do that, maybe I have to buy it for him somehow.

John,
My brother came over from Utah last week and met with my local dealer. They believe they are going to be able to sell him the Spark EV and either:

1. Ship it to him or
2. Have him take delivery of the vehicle locally and then drive it to Utah with a "Day Pass" which will allow him to drive it to Utah and register it there (likely not possible to make the trip on the Spark's range)

He will close the deal in the next couple of days, I will keep you posted on the details.

BTW, they are discounting them deeply right now and there are allot of them in stock.

I like the "12-year Rust Perforation Limited Warranty."

But it only applies to the plastic body, not the aluminum chassis. :)

Then there's "Recall of user climate control settings: Climate control setting profiles are saved according to user."

That might be nice as my wife and I may be sharing vehicles. But not nearly as useful as if it saved the driver's seat and mirror positions. Well, at least it'll remember to cool me off as I fumble with all those manual adjustments.

Back