i3 Front Compartment / Frunk. Weather-tight, waterproof?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsmith

As above, is it weather tight? I've seen a couple of photo's from UK tests and it looked as though it had got wet and dirty in there.

Nearest dealer is 30 miles way so can't pop in to look

Collected mine on Saturday. Was bucketing down on my journey home from the dealer. I can confirm it was bone dry under the front bonnet when I got home :)

Chris.

i3 has an undertray like A2 so should be dry although the inner wheel arches aren't quite as faired over as latter.

I want to store my std 13 amp charger in the 'frunk'. Would it be best kept in a waterproof sack like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Dry-Kit-Camping-Watersports/dp/B003EZIM3U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1395076858&sr=8-3&keywords=waterproof+bag

I was chatting to an i3 genius at the Geneva motor show, she confirmed that the frunk is not water tight, most likely water ingress during a prsessure washer wash. She said not to put anything that would be damaged and that you can buy the black, bmw i3 waterproof bag to guarantee protection!

I've just received one of these 'dry bags' to keep my charging stuff dry. Less than £10!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002HMQED6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I took the fact that the compartment has drainage holes to imply that, in all likelihood, it ain't waterproof!

I've not actually used it - surely it must be a bit of an awkward compartment to use with any regularity. It has the awkward safety catch that all bonnets have - which will, no doubt, get just as covered in road grime as with any other car.

If I buy the charger cable it'll live in there - but only because I won't be using it that often!

I keep in there:
The mobility kit supplied with the car
Standard charger (supplied with the car)
Public Charging Cable

Back