i3 newbie seeking advices

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divinefavor

i live in california and am seriously thinking about purchasing i3 very soon. i have a test drive (bmw event) set up on 5/7 at a local dealer and have contacted several dealers nearby to get inventory information.

i'd like a gigaworld version (non-rex), but it seems like only available ones (being shipped this month of may) are either completely full option or megaworld base models. as i don't want to order the exact spec and wait few weeks or months, i am seriously thinking about getting a megaworld one.

now i have couple of questions for you experts (and i promise i'll do my own researches as well).

1) $700 DC fast charging option. what is it and do i need it? it looks like this option is to use public DC fast charging stations which are not widely available at this time in CA. is this correct? will i be missing a lot w/o this option?

2) what are my options in home charging stations? the one that bmw sells seems to be around $2000 ($1000 for equipment + rougly $1000 for installation). any cheaper options?

3) my work has charging stations (not sure which kind, but maybe chargepoint?). would i3 be able to charge at any public charge stations? any compatibility issue?

4) how long does it take to fully charge the battery from empty using regular home outlet? is i3 not worth it without home charging station?

sorry about newbie questions. i've done quite bit of researches, but i'm still not comfortable with my knowledge around charging electic cars. thanks for any help.

so i've done few homeworks and here are my findings.

$700 (in US) DC fast charging option is for using public DC fast charging station (just as i suspected).

anyone in US let me know how long it actually takes to charge from empty to full using regular outlet?

also, i clicked the turbocord ad above, but didn't see charging time for i3 (sent email though).
anyone bought turbo cord and used it for i3?

divinefavor said:
i live in california and am seriously thinking about purchasing i3 very soon. i have a test drive (bmw event) set up on 5/7 at a local dealer and have contacted several dealers nearby to get inventory information.

i'd like a gigaworld version (non-rex), but it seems like only available ones (being shipped this month of may) are either completely full option or megaworld base models. as i don't want to order the exact spec and wait few weeks or months, i am seriously thinking about getting a megaworld one.

now i have couple of questions for you experts (and i promise i'll do my own researches as well).

1) $700 DC fast charging option. what is it and do i need it? it looks like this option is to use public DC fast charging stations which are not widely available at this time in CA. is this correct? will i be missing a lot w/o this option?

basically, this gets you a fast charge to 80% in 30 minutes. I would check plugshare.com and filter the list to "fast stations"

2) what are my options in home charging stations? the one that bmw sells seems to be around $2000 ($1000 for equipment + rougly $1000 for installation). any cheaper options?

I would go with Clippercreek and their HCS-40 or HCS-40P for plug-in installations. Prices range from $590-$644

3) my work has charging stations (not sure which kind, but maybe chargepoint?). would i3 be able to charge at any public charge stations? any compatibility issue?

anything with a J1772 port

4) how long does it take to fully charge the battery from empty using regular home outlet? is i3 not worth it without home charging station?

too long. get a level 2 charging station

sorry about newbie questions. i've done quite bit of researches, but i'm still not comfortable with my knowledge around charging electic cars. thanks for any help.

divinefavor said:
20 hours. See http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2014/i3/BMWi3/360Electric/HomeCharging.aspx

disturbed932 is right. Get a 30 or 32 amp (not a 16 amp) level 2 charger. I've heard nothing but good things about Clipper Creek units, and you can pretty much always find name brand units on sale for $599 at Home Depot.

thanks guys.

i am registered for tomorrow's bmw i3 test-drive event. can't wait to see it in person and drive it!!

ultraturtle said:
divinefavor said:
20 hours. See http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2014/i3/BMWi3/360Electric/HomeCharging.aspx

disturbed932 is right. Get a 30 or 32 amp (not a 16 amp) level 2 charger. I've heard nothing but good things about Clipper Creek units, and you can pretty much always find name brand units on sale for $599 at Home Depot.

20 hours? That is longer than I was expecting. However, how much charge does it get in say 12 hours? That is all that really matters. The curve is not linear, so is it going to be 80% in 12 hours? Either way, for my use the OUC will be fine since I don't generally drive more than 40 miles per day, and usually more like 15 or 20 miles.

looking around I found this page: http://www.aprs.org/charging-DIY.html which says a leaf can charge 32 miles in 8 hours with a level 1 115 V charger. I guess that answers my question, plugging in over night will more than charge a days worth of use.

Eric

viking79 said:
how much charge does it get in say 12 hours? That is all that really matters. The curve is not linear, so is it going to be 80% in 12 hours?
That's a really great question. My 12 amp EVSE supports charging at a measured 11.8 amps and 118 volts, which (assuming 85% efficiency) would be good for 15 kWh, or 80% useable capacity in about 12 hr 40 minutes on an i3. Assuming 81 miles of range per 18.8 kWh (EPA), or 232 Wh/mi, that would mean recuperating a little over 5 miles of range per hour, at least initially.

You might be good to go with the included unit, but I cannot count the number of times I've needed to charge more quickly.

Depending on how easily you can route an 8 ga electric cable from your service panel to your EVSE (and perhaps local codes), you can install an EVSE pretty easily and inexpensively yourself. Electric cable, a breaker, a wallbox, and some staples add about $100 to the $600 cost of the EVSE unit. I've installed 2 of them, and I'm barely smart enough to tie my own shoes.

i finally got to test drive i3, and it was amazing. regen braking is something that i'd have to get used to, but other than that, everything was great.

i'm most likely paying a deposit tomorrow for a white megaworld i3 which is arriving in few days.
it only has carseat heating option.. :(
but hey, it is still an i3.

now only if i can find a good home charging station. ....

ultraturtle said:
You might be good to go with the included unit, but I cannot count the number of times I've needed to charge more quickly.

Thanks for the info! I suppose it would definitely be nice to have quick charging available (forgot to plug it in, need to go somewhere unplanned). I do have a secondary vehicle though, so it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

I will look into installation myself, I don't think they let us do any wiring here unless we are certified, so I would have to go pass a test to be up to code (not difficult, but would have to study a few things for it, since I need to redo my basement it might be worth doing anyway).

I have my test drive scheduled for next weekend in Des Moines, IA, so am excited to get to drive one.

Eric

divinefavor said:
$700 (in US) DC fast charging option is for using public DC fast charging station (just as i suspected).

Note that there are basically two types of "Level 3" DC fast charging options. The more prevalent one, CHAdeMO, originates from Japan, and is supported by Nissan and other Japanese OEMs. Due to the popularity of the LEAF, most of the DC fast charging stations you'll see on maps like PlugShare are for CHAdeMO.

The other spec is put out by SAE and is an extension of the J1772 spec. Generally it's referred to as "SAE Combo" and you'll see in the i3 literature a reference to an "SAE Combo Connector." Given that this is a newer spec and fewer manufacturers have put it as an option on their vehicles (the BMW i3 will be the second one behind the Chevy Spark EV). Unfortunately, this is natively non-compatible with CHAdeMO.

More importantly, deciding if one needs that capability depends on a few factors:
1) Are you going for a pure EV or with a range extender like the i3-REx? If you're going with REx, it becomes less of an issue.
2) Would almost all of your daily driving be within the operating range of the vehicle? In other words, if you get to your destination and back to your "home" charger, then it's not as crucial.
3) When you do go on longer trips, is time of the essence such that you need to recharge quickly, or can you afford the extra time charging at "Level 2" speed? FYI, the i3 onboard charger should allow one to obtain around 20-25 miles per hour of charge at Level 2. If time isn't of the essence, then you don't really need the SAE Combo.
4) If time is of the essence, you're on a longer trip, and you're willing to go out of your way somewhat to find a compatible SAE Combo Fast Charger, then the option could be worth it.
5) If you still want to do SAE Combo, are you willing to pay around $5-8 per charge for the added convenience of fast charging?

If perhaps I've dissuaded you from the DC Fast Charge option, let me tell you why I personally am interested in it.
1) Over the next 2-3 years, we should see more SAE Combo charger deployments and cars equipped with SAE Combo ports (particularly the German ones). We could also see some adapter options (such as what the Tesla S now has) that allow non-CHAdeMO cars to use a CHAdeMO station. I've also seen some EVSE manufacturers create a "dual cord" Level 3 charger that allows both types.
2) If you really try to avoid consuming gas, having the option could be nice to have, particularly for longer trips.
3) If you have a longer distance and the predictability of finding an available Level 2 charger is uncertain, that could be a benefit.
4) If there are places that will actually offer free Level 3 charging (such as how some Tesla locations do today), then that would be a great benefit. I expect at least one spot in LA will offer this, and there's a chance that BMW dealerships themselves might offer this capability to their customers, just as certain Nissan dealerships with Level 3 CHAdeMO charging stations do today.

HTH,
David

Just a minor comment to avoid repeated confusion. Formally, there are 3 types of charging available to the I3. They are:

Slow - using the provided lead plugged into the household supply. 12-14 hours.
Fast - using an EVSE install with up to 32a charge. 3 to 4 hours
RAPID - DC charging. 30 mins.

MikeS said:
Just a minor comment to avoid repeated confusion. Formally, there are 3 types of charging available to the I3. They are:

Slow - using the provided lead plugged into the household supply. 12-14 hours.
Fast - using an EVSE install with up to 32a charge. 3 to 4 hours
RAPID - DC charging. 30 mins.

If you live in a country with 120 volt household electricity the Slow time is 20 hours.

MarkN said:
MikeS said:

Slow - using the provided 120V L1 lead plugged into the household supply. 12-20 hours.
Fast - using an EVSE to install a L2 with up to 32a charge. 3 to 8 hours
RAPID - DC charging. 30 mins to obtain a 80% charge.

If you live in the a country with 120 volt household electricity the Slow time is 20 hours.

What ? No 240V out in the country ? How pray tell did you come up with that statement ?

Back