i3 Subtleties (not mentioned in the owner's manual)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

websterize

I discovered tonight the notch in the charging cap for easy hanging on the hook inside the filler door — no more cap dangling in the wind.

There's a plastic tab above the driver sunshade that securely holds registration/insurance cards and a ChargeNow badge.

In the cupholder insert, there's a slot for holding the key fob.

I don't recall seeing mention of these thoughtful touches in the manual (or maybe I overlooked them).

Thankfully, I think I learned about the plug-cap notch in the manual and discovered the visor card tab on my own. But, the slot in the cup holder and the RFID card charge mention in the other post remain mysteries to me. I use the cupholder to stand my sunglasses up.

I was tipped off by my BMW service writer that if you use your USB plug and cord into the center console USB power outlet, your phone will charge while it is playing music/phoning etc. That tip came from BMW service training.

BUMWA said:
… But, the slot in the cup holder and the RFID card charge mention in the other post remain mysteries to me. I use the cupholder to stand my sunglasses up.
The slot where the key fits is inside part 15 below:

523.png

That rubber insert appears to be part of the storage compartment package, which is a base option in U.S. i3s.
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1Z23&mospid=56090&btnr=51_9417&hg=51&fg=35

I think Alexander99 means that the key fob cover — a separate accessory — can wrap around the key and charge card. That's a great tip.

May be someone can tell me what is that contraption for a cellular that snaps inside between the seats. What is it for ?

websterize said:
I discovered tonight the notch in the charging cap for easy hanging on the hook inside the filler door — no more cap dangling in the wind.

Not having a place to hang the cap was a growing nuisance for me. Thanks for pointing this out. I'm glad to know it was user error on my part!

Did anybody notice that there is an additional 12V power outlet directly below the emergency flashers button under the center vents. This works out great if your phone is mounted using a vent mount or a custom ProClip mount <proclipusa.com>

louisgrenier said:
May be someone can tell me what is that contraption for a cellular that snaps inside between the seats. What is it for ?
Not knowing where in the world you are, I'll guess it's the blank cover for one of BMW's snap-in adapters. They vary depending on your phone model. Upside: phone charging and greater reception through the car's antenna. Downside: pricey, and I'd probably forget the phone in the car since it's out of sight. But the powered center arm rest is not available in the U.S., where we have option 1 in the diagram below, and there's a USB input in the bin under the arm rest in the NA version. Sounds as if you have diagram 2.

506.png

NAL said:
Did anybody notice that there is an additional 12V power outlet directly below the emergency flashers button under the center vents. This works out great if your phone is mounted using a vent mount or a custom ProClip mount <proclipusa.com>
Yes. I liked having the glovebox flashlight from my old 3-Series, so I leave a Spotlight Rechargeable Flashlight (LED) plugged into that socket under the center vents.
http://www.amazon.com/eGear-86-09-Spotlight-Rechargeable-Flashlight/dp/B001BDJVYQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1417897280&sr=8-3&keywords=cigarette+led+light. It's a switched circuit, so no worry about draining the 12V battery.

valknut said:
Not having a place to hang the cap was a growing nuisance for me. Thanks for pointing this out. I'm glad to know it was user error on my part!
My pleasure. I'm hoping more seasoned i3ers point out additional tips. Only have about 800 miles since taking delivery Nov. 19.

websterize said:
valknut said:
My pleasure. I'm hoping more seasoned i3ers point out additional tips. Only have about 800 miles since taking delivery Nov. 19.

If you haven't stood your wipers off the windshield yet, and gone to set the down again, and worried as I did that they were not properly aligned, you are in for a stupid-wiper-trick treat. It KNOWS and moves them independently into alignment. I chuckle every time it happens. :eek:

IF you don't have occasion to use your wipers for an extended time, the computer will activate them for a cycle to help prevent them taking a permanent set. Lots of little subtleties engineers come up with with too much time on their hands.

websterize said:

There's a plastic tab above the driver sunshade that securely holds registration/insurance cards and a ChargeNow badge.

In the cupholder insert, there's a slot for holding the key fob.

I don't recall seeing mention of these thoughtful touches in the manual (or maybe I overlooked them).

Doh! I didn't know any of that. Call me stupid but I finally found the "mute" button for the radio... I am so accustomed to having a mute switch on the steering wheel, I didn't think to just push the freakin' radio button. Embarrassing :oops: , as I am a professional button pusher... For cryin out loud.

In iRemote.app, on the Status window (middle dot), tapping the data above the i3 illustration will toggle between state of charge and time to 100% SOC. Serendipity!

Do the speakers output white noise? If they do, I'm puzzled why.

I was sitting in the driver seat tonight for nearly an hour, inside a closed garage, with the car at READY and the speakers off and heard what I think is white noise. I was working on some computer coding, and noticed that when I turned off the car, the noise stopped. It was low, unfocused and didn't seem like a mechanical whirring or HVAC fan. Turning the volume knob didn't change the sound level.

On a nightstand, I have a white noise app on my phone, and the noise in the car sounded like that. I've read of artificial audio in the cabin of the new M3, so perhaps I'm not hearing things?

DeafSoundGuy said:
Call me stupid but I finally found the "mute" button for the radio... I am so accustomed to having a mute switch on the steering wheel, I didn't think to just push the freakin' radio button.
I can top that. I can't even figure out how to turn off the freakin' radio, so I just mute it! How does one turn off the radio?

alohart said:
DeafSoundGuy said:
Call me stupid but I finally found the "mute" button for the radio... I am so accustomed to having a mute switch on the steering wheel, I didn't think to just push the freakin' radio button.
I can top that. I can't even figure out how to turn off the freakin' radio, so I just mute it! How does one turn off the radio?

Press the volume control knob.

i3atl said:
alohart said:
I can't even figure out how to turn off the freakin' radio, so I just mute it! How does one turn off the radio?
Press the volume control knob.
On my i3, pressing the volume control knob merely mutes the radio (at least, that's what the display shows). This volume control knob has a tiny power icon next to it, so I assumed that pressing it would turn the radio off. Maybe the display is incorrect, or maybe the German word for "mute" and "off" are the same. The display icon is a speaker with a diagonal line through it which is a typical "mute" icon, not an "off" icon.

Maybe it's academic because both an off and mute radio make no sound, but a mute radio still uses power whereas an off radio doesn't.

Back