i3s with 195/55r20 in all positions

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Map40

I have been taking knowledge from this group, so it is about time that I give a little back. I finished installing the 195/55R20 tires in my i3s with jet black 20 inch rims (20x6 and 20x5.5).
1000006608.jpg
1000006609.jpg

The tires look good, no altered look whatsoever. They fit with no problems, no spacers needed (stock rims, stock suspension).
The ride is better than the stock tires, softer. The handling is still sharp.
The feeling is much more solid on the highway, feels more grounded, most likely because it is.
I checked the power consumption and I would say is maybe 2-3% higher than with the stock tires. I get better numbers as I drive it more.
The tires are $340 for 4 tires, delivered to your house, from Tirerack.
This is a 50K mile tire, all season, but more for wet and snow conditions. I believe that Florida is going to eat them faster, but the have a lot more meat that the stock tires, that is for sure.
Here is the link:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...&rearRatio=55&rearDiameter=20&performance=ALL
Here is a picture of the tire
Screenshot 2024-05-02 201059.jpg
For me it is well worth it. Breaking, steering, accelerating, all where as good as stock tires. Better ride (for my taste at least), less noise, softer. 4 tires for the price of 1 of the stock tires. Heck of a deal....
Will post more info as I put more miles!
Feel free to reach out with any questions you might have.

Anytime! One more thing, the speed difference is less than 1mph at 75mph, ABS seems to work fine and traction control seems to work fine (had some fun in a Florida dirt road testing them, nothing crazy, just enough to get the systems active and check for faults)

I’m running 4 x EP500 with 195mm on each corner. I bought rear rims 20x6” for the front too. I find that the consumption is a bit higher, like 3.2/kWh where I used to get 3.5/kWh.

I might try these next. I’m a little concerned about the consumption getting worse though and the handling.

I’m running 4 x EP500 with 195mm on each corner. I bought rear rims 20x6” for the front too. I find that the consumption is a bit higher, like 3.2/kWh where I used to get 3.5/kWh.

I might try these next. I’m a little concerned about the consumption getting worse though and the handling.
Thanks for the suggestion! I did try it for a few hours before getting into this setup. I noticed the car was slightly heavier, and I compensated by increasing the tire pleasure higher, which almost eliminated the problem. That said, I was looking for a lower cost alternative, so using the same tires would not make a difference. These tires have a lot more wearable thread and they are rated for 50K miles, and my power consumption went up by 0.1/kWh. I will be doing a more comprehensive highway test this weekend.

Thanks for the suggestion! I did try it for a few hours before getting into this setup. I noticed the car was slightly heavier, and I compensated by increasing the tire pleasure higher, which almost eliminated the problem. That said, I was looking for a lower cost alternative, so using the same tires would not make a difference. These tires have a lot more wearable thread and they are rated for 50K miles, and my power consumption went up by 0.1/kWh. I will be doing a more comprehensive highway test this weekend.
Yeah my concern is that they won’t handle as well. I’d like a lower cost tire that doesn’t trade away performance. I’m looking into the S001s potentially.

Yeah my concern is that they won’t handle as well. I’d like a lower cost tire that doesn’t trade away performance. I’m looking into the S001s potentially.
Mine drive as good as the stock or better. Is it glued to the ground, no sideflex. Softer ride (likely due to the tire being bigger). More to come once I put a few hundred miles on a highway.

Mine drive as good as the stock or better. Is it glued to the ground, no sideflex. Softer ride (likely due to the tire being bigger). More to come once I put a few hundred miles on a highway.
Yeah, I am taking the car to the track though, so I’d really want to know for sure that it’s going to be as sticky or stickier. I’m considering the S001 also.

That’s a heck of a price. I put S100s all around. 215s ($142 ea Amazon- currently unavailable) on the rear and 195s on front. Very happy with the handling and comfort but the 195s were expensive (now $428 ea) which is why I opted for the 215s on the rear.

Last edited:
That’s a heck of a price. I put S100s all around. 215s ($142 ea Amazon- currently unavailable) on the rear and 195s on front. Very happy with the handling and comfort but the 195s were expensive (now $428 ea) which is why I opted for the 215s on the rear.
Did you have to put spacers for the 215s?

How does the handling compare to say the ep500s??

No spacers required for 215s on the rear. I saw on another site someone put 215s all around and needed spacers on the front.

The S100s handle better and I enjoy the softer ride. It helps running less air pressure. (I have a 4 gal aux tank so any range reduction is non factor now).

I have been taking knowledge from this group, so it is about time that I give a little back. I finished installing the 195/55R20 tires in my i3s with jet black 20 inch rims (20x6 and 20x5.5).

The tires look good, no altered look whatsoever. They fit with no problems, no spacers needed (stock rims, stock suspension).
The ride is better than the stock tires, softer. The handling is still sharp.
The feeling is much more solid on the highway, feels more grounded, most likely because it is.
I checked the power consumption and I would say is maybe 2-3% higher than with the stock tires. I get better numbers as I drive it more.
The tires are $340 for 4 tires, delivered to your house, from Tirerack.
This is a 50K mile tire, all season, but more for wet and snow conditions. I believe that Florida is going to eat them faster, but the have a lot more meat that the stock tires, that is for sure.
Here is the link:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...&rearRatio=55&rearDiameter=20&performance=ALL
Here is a picture of the tire

For me it is well worth it. Breaking, steering, accelerating, all where as good as stock tires. Better ride (for my taste at least), less noise, softer. 4 tires for the price of 1 of the stock tires. Heck of a deal....
Will post more info as I put more miles!
Feel free to reach out with any questions you might have.
Hello, same here :) https://www.mybmwi3.com/goto/post?id=74938

Back