If I wait 6 or 12 months....

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max

My 2003 Mini needs enough repairs to consider it totaled.. But I've really gotten used to not having a car payment or lease payment, and the i3 prices seem pretty steep for the limited range and questionable winter performance. Hoping the novelty pricing will wear off once the Bolt comes out and 2017 i3 and tesla 3 out the pressure on.

If I wait 6 or 12 months till summer or end of 2016.., how do you think the market for i3s will have changed?

Will leases for 2014 or 2015 models still be available? Never leased before, but seems silly to buy due to likely leaps in range.

Thoughts?

So much repair to total a 12 year old Mini ?!?! You get me worry about BMW's quality and durability.

12 month out is anyone's guess. But I would take model 3 out of the equation. Given Tesla's track record, I highly doubt it would be anywhere near to be ready.

Another fact is the bigger battery Leaf will be widely available by then. It may put pressure on i3. One may argue i3 is at a different market segment, but never the less it is a more practical EV for many.

Mini needs a clutch at 136k miles, ball joints, oil leaks, torn cv boots, and some misc electric problems etc. Blue book value is only about 4K, which is about the cost of all repairs, if not more depending on what they find once it's cracked open.

Was a souped up JWC... Apparently got rode pretty hard :? :shock:

I've seen a few articles stating the 2017 i3 will get around 25-30% more range. Could be some good lease deals for the current model when dealers have these but that would depend on dealer availability and stock.

The 2017 i3's are getting bigger batteries, and will be available, likely in the fall of 2016 (they start production in July). Now, what other, if any, changes will be made to either the rest of the vehicle, options, or prices, is way too far out there to determine. The extra range is only crucial if you need it on a day-to-day basis, IMHO. I function fine with my BEV with its existing battery capacity. Your results may differ. Even with the longer range, the i3, wasn't really designed for long trips. Yes, people use it that way, but more so in Europe where there is a much more robust CCS network. That may come here, but it's going to take awhile. Keep in mind that bigger batteries will also mean either the need for a larger EVSE to allow faster charging (your home panel may not support it without costly upgrades), or longer time to fully recharge a low battery. To save costs, they may not enlarge the on-board charging circuits with the new, larger batteries. While the batteries themselves aren't heavier, the components and wiring required to charge faster would need to be bigger, and thus, heavier and more costly.

Bigger batteries (as opposed to higher capacity ones) are a two-edged sword...if literally bigger or more of them, more space required, more weight to carry around, and more weight means less incremental range. At some point, more batteries would decrease range. I think the current i3 is in the sweet spot for range, the weight of them, and costs. Newer tech batteries fitting in the same package is a bonus, and their cost seems to be going down as well so you're getting more watts/$.

Back