Interior rattles and noises

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodlandHills

My i3 has just over 1600 miles and the interior rattles badly whenever I drive over rough or patched pavement. The glove box is empty, nothing inside loose to make noise and it still sounds like a can of pennies over every bump. Is this typical?

There is also a loud clunk from the front suspension heard when I cross speed bumps/sleepingolicemen. It just started to make this noise and it is getting louder each time I cross the bumps. BTW I have to drive over 7 of these things between the off ramp and my home..... Clunk! Crash!! What an Ultimate Driving Experience....... Clunk! Crash!!

It a $55k car and it's rattles more than a Hyundai or Kia, to say nothing of Nissan, Honda or Toyota. I honestly thought I was buying something akin to the MBs we have had in the past, it is our first BMW, but I guess not.

The drive is so quiet that I am hearing things that were drowned out in other cars, still that is no excuse to not glue, screw or snap the car together tightly. The whoop whoop from the tires when cornering does not bother me, in fact I rather like hearing it, but rattles and clunks this early in a cars life are worrisome. I am going to take it in for service after a month and have it looked at or listened to.....

Over 2000 miles on my i3 REx and no rattles or noises. Except for wind noise at freeway speeds, the vehicle is quiet as a church mouse.

I've found mine to be exceptionally tight and well assembled. Coming up on five months and 1800 miles. No permanent noises or rattles. Every time I've heard something, I've traced the noise to a stray object in a storage area or a seat belt a passenger didn't return to the proper rest position.

Check the occasional use charger in the fronk. It does rattle around and make noise if its not cushioned in a bag or something.

Thanks for the tips, I had the OU charger removed and the flat tire kit secured. I don't hear the rattle on the highway nor on smooth city streets. Deteriorating pavement or potholes are where I hear it the most and it sounds like unsecured wiring rattling against carbon fiber or some other sort of hard surface. I hear it a bit from under the dashboard and also from behind me, perhaps above the window line?

I will have it all looked into when I go on for my new KLEs and software.

my rattle seems to come from the cigarette lighter socket under the dash. Anyone know how this is fitted? Would be keen to try and stop it rattling before I go insane. I can't see any fixings although there is a hole almost like it pops apart in someway.... hmmm

I have a rattle in the glove box lid. It goes away when you open the lid and it only happens on rough roads. When I go in for the 07-505 update I will have it looked at.

Back