iPhone BMW Remote App and Google map/GPS problems

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shrink13

For some unknown reason, BMW has been unable to make my Remote App on my iPhone 6 work. When I attempt to log in, it tells me that there is no car registered. I did contact BMW assist and they assured me that everything is okay on their end.

I am also unable to send destinations from Google Maps to my GPS. I can not help but wonder if the two problems are related.

The BMW concierge team has been very polite on the phone, but thus far totally useless.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just check that you have the correct app designated to your country.

I am in the UK and I do recall login into the U.S. BMW remote app which also said no car registered.

I first noticed these same problems yesterday. Today, the BMW i Concierge told me that my i Remote account would be reset within 1-3 days which he hoped would fix these problems. I'm guessing that there's a problem with the BMW server that links an i Remote account with an i3.

Thank you for your replies. There seem to be two BMW apps for the Apple phone. I was told that the BMW Remote app was for the US and the BMW i app was for Europe. Is that correct?

Has anyone else tried to send Google Maps location to their BMW GPS? Does it work?

Thank you.

I think the problem might be that there are 2 BMW i apps. The one you need is the one that says " - north america" after the name. I had installed the European BMW i app initially and it didn't work.

Do not use the BMW Remote app. This is not for the i3. However, it does allow google map addresses to be sent to other BMWs and I used this feature for many years, just not the i.

The only way that I've come across to send addresses to the i3 is to create a contact with the address. I believe there are plans to rectify this when an update comes out for the app. No date has been announced, but I would expect to see something around March when other i3 vehicle updates may roll out.

I do manage to send an address from my BMW app to my car. I'm not sure if it is
Google maps but on the app I slide across to the left to
Reveal the mobility page, in search I type in the details. Once it's found I highlight it and send it to the car. Works great and I rarely login in to my connect drive account now.

BoMW said:
...Reveal the mobility page, in search I type in the details...

The US BMW i remote app does not appear to have a "search" area on the mobility page. At least not that I could find. Could you snap a picture of this and post?

alohart said:
, the BMW i Concierge told me that my i Remote account would be reset within 1-3 days which he hoped would fix these problems.
I am now able to log into the BMW i Remote app. When I first tried today, I got an "incorrect password" message rather than a "no i3 associated with your account" message, so I entered the default "1111" password which succeeded. I then reset my password and all seems to be well.

Do you know how to delete a destination address from the destinations list? I've got some incomplete addresses in this list that I was using to play around with the app and I can't figure out how to delete them.

BMW4Me said:
BoMW said:

The US BMW i remote app does not appear to have a "search" area on the mobility page. At least not that I could find. Could you snap a picture of this and post?

Actually on the mobility page there is "navigation" and "maps" option, click on maps to reveal the search bar at the top of the screen.

BoMW said:
BMW4Me said:
BoMW said:

Actually on the mobility page there is "navigation" and "maps" option, click on maps to reveal the search bar at the top of the screen.

On my version in CA there is no search function available on that page. There is an icon on the top right, but it brings up a list of destinations such as favorites, the location of the dealership, etc. with no way to input as far as I can tell.

The iRemote app has the potential to be somewhat useful if it can deliver what was promised, but I am afraid that, just like the range issues, BMW has raised expectations that are hard to meet in the real world.

alohart said:
I am now able to log into the BMW i Remote app. When I first tried today, I got an "incorrect password" message rather than a "no i3 associated with your account" message, so I entered the default "1111" password which succeeded. I then reset my password and all seems to be well.
Today, it's broken again :cry: When I tried logging in, I got an "incorrect password" message. I tried logging in with the default "1111" password which succeeded, but then I receive a "no i3 associated with your account" message. Since buying our i3 9 days ago, the i Remote app has been almost useless. I'll complain to i Concierge again.

Not that it should matter, it's a long ways from HI to the servers that the app is exchanging information with. Maybe a timeout happening. Signal bounces through a lot of servers getting to BMW and back to your car from HI.

jadnashuanh said:
Not that it should matter, it's a long ways from HI to the servers that the app is exchanging information with. Maybe a timeout happening. Signal bounces through a lot of servers getting to BMW and back to your car from HI.
I received the "no BMW i found" message very quickly after logging in which suggests that no timeout is occurring.

Honolulu is a node on a very fast fiber network connected to the mainland, Asia, and Australia. I typically have 20 mbps bandwidth to mainland servers with good ping speeds. We watch Swedish TV shows over the Internet hosted by Swedish servers with little rebuffering. So even if BMW's U.S. i Remote servers are in Germany (unlikely, I would think), timeouts should be rare if their servers are working properly.

If I'm the only U.S. i Remote user experiencing these problems, maybe you're onto something. I can't imagine that i Remote requires much bandwidth considering what it does, so I don't expect such problems. The fact that my password has twice been reset back to the default indicates that BMW is doing something with my account. So maybe it's a problem with my account rather than a general problem.

To their credit, BMW did make good and get my iPhone remote to work. For those of you in the US, the correct app is the BMW i app.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

If you just got ur i3, you need to set up profile with the BMW Assist people, either call them, or better yet, hit the SOS button in the car and have your last 7 of your VIN ready. Choose the email address and pswd during the conversation with the live representative. Remember it, it will be the same email address or user id for the i Remote apps.

Once done, in the i remote, enter user and pswd, adn then it will ask for a "local app" pswd, like a 4 digit number. You need to enter that pswd everytime you want to use the App. Note iRemote App is for the i3 and i think for i8 too.
Once you explorer the app you will find it very usefule, the address you find/want can be send to your car and retrieve under the MY Message area.
What doesn't work is the Google map address(es) could not be sent to the i3.
I had my car in the dealership for 10 days and even a PUMA case was generated, but at the end they gave up and indicated that iRemote app "send" works so it must be something some issue with the Google end, so picked up the car..
i think it's a systemic problem with i3 and google, sooner or later BMW will realize that and ahve their right dept contact google to wrok it out.

If someone got the google map to send the address to i3 successfully, please chime in!

I have successfully sent address info to my i3 from Google Maps. Dont' do it all that often, but did it a few times last month. You have to have a Google account and be logged in in your browser, if I remember correctly, for that option to show up.

dps1998 said:
If someone got the google map to send the address to i3 successfully, please chime in!

I've been successful sending addresses to my i3 via Google Maps; however, I've only been able to do so using a browser-based (in my case, a Windows PC) method. The native iOS Google Maps doesn't seem to have the "send to car" function. Based on some comments I've read on this thread and other locations, it's unclear if the US-based iRemote app supports the "Send to car" function from within the app. I still need to play more with the the Navigation and Maps section of the iRemote app, though.

My next test is to access this function via an iOS Safari or Chrome browser with the https://www.google.com/maps/sendtocar address. FYI, I believe one does need an account on Google and from this URL you define your vehicle. As also previously mentioned, I called the Concierge to set up the iRemote app to establish the initial userid and password. (Was told that the dealer should have helped out with this on delivery, but my dealer was a less informed 5 months ago.)

>>David>>

Back