iRemote app, notifications and value charging

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNik

I just bought a BEV i3 to replace my totaled Ford Focus Electric. Ford had an app/value charging systems that, while buggy, seems to have way more features than I can find for my I3. I am hoping I am missing something as I would hate to think I had features for the last 2.5 years form Ford that BMW has not implemented. The car is very new to me so maybe I just haven't found the feature yet.

For instance:

1. value charging can be set with multiple tiers and different for different days. All I can find for the i3 is a single time setting, i.e. I can set 12-7am as my value charge window but I have additional windows on the weekends. They also tied to my electric provider so it would automatically pick up the current rates. I believe this is coming with iCharging but why not available now?

2. For my FFE, when you turned off, the car would have a choice of charge now or value charge on the main screen. I usually value charge but there are times that I need to charge now to go out again and would like to do so without having to go through a bunch of screens. Is there an easy way to do this in the i3.

3. Ford has notifications set up so that you would know if there are charging problems or other notifications. They could be sent via email or test. The most useful was a) if I forgot to plug in when I got home, it would notify me about 5 minutes after turning off the car and b) if there were any charging faults. This last one came in handy as I actually had a lemon car with a lot of charging issues.

Am I missing something?

NikNik said:
… The most useful was a) if I forgot to plug in when I got home, it would notify me …
Having this feature would bring me great piece of mind, especially with the lack of a robust DC fast-charge network on the East Coast.

"Sorry, boss, I'm late because I forgot to plug in my car." :oops:

#1 would be super handy since off-peak is all weekend and I would prefer it charge right away if it was a Sat/Sun.

#3 Basic notification like low charge is sent through BMW ConnectedDrive and if you use a Chargepoint EVSE they offer even more notification like charging interrupted. Would be handy if this was expanded by BMW and also would be very cool to actually see the charge rate (even better if the car charted it daily for you).

Back