Is 5W30 Mobil 1 Synthetic OK in Los Angeles

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickp

I mostly drive the i3 in LA with year round nice weather. Should I be OK with 5W-30? Thanks!

should be ok - under the rear cover is a sticker that says 0W-30 oil, Synthetic is a must. Last oil change I had at an indy BMW garage, they used 0W-30 BMW Twin Turbo Full Synthetic.

MKH said:
should be ok - under the rear cover is a sticker that says 0W-30 oil, Synthetic is a must. Last oil change I had at an indy BMW garage, they used 0W-30 BMW Twin Turbo Full Synthetic.

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking 5W30 should be OK considering it doesn't get that cold at all even in the dead of winter. Also it's easy to find. I will be using Mobil1 full synthetic.

BMW highly suggests that you use an oil that has passed their testing routine (FWIW, BMW does not perform the test, they provide the specs, and the company that markets the oil then does, and if it passes, certifies it passed. Since that costs some money, not everyone is willing to do it so that doesn't mean an oil couldn't pass it, but that there's no demonstratable path that can prove it). I have a BEV, but on other BMWs with gasoline engines, they want one that meets their LL01 spec. I haven't looked at Mobil 1 lately, but last time I did, it did NOT list that as a feature. The 5W versus 0W in a mild environment probably won't make a lot of difference, but in a lab, it would still be detectable in efficiency. When used, the REx may be turning on/off and there may be more 'cold' starts than you'd experience with a normal ICE.

The difference in cost to get an oil that meets the specified BMW spec isn't all that much, and I, personally, would opt for it.

jadnashuanh said:
BMW highly suggests that you use an oil that has passed their testing routine (FWIW, BMW does not perform the test, they provide the specs, and the company that markets the oil then does, and if it passes, certifies it passed. Since that costs some money, not everyone is willing to do it so that doesn't mean an oil couldn't pass it, but that there's no demonstratable path that can prove it). I have a BEV, but on other BMWs with gasoline engines, they want one that meets their LL01 spec. I haven't looked at Mobil 1 lately, but last time I did, it did NOT list that as a feature. The 5W versus 0W in a mild environment probably won't make a lot of difference, but in a lab, it would still be detectable in efficiency. When used, the REx may be turning on/off and there may be more 'cold' starts than you'd experience with a normal ICE.

The difference in cost to get an oil that meets the specified BMW spec isn't all that much, and I, personally, would opt for it.

Thanks. You are right. MObil1 was not on that list. I have since returned that and bought the Valvoline Synpower 5W-30 that was on their list.

Back