Is BMW really looking at Bollore's Autolib?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolotte

Hi!

Here is quite of a big thing today in France:

http://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=fr&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lefigaro.fr%2Factualite-france%2F2013%2F09%2F09%2F01016-20130909ARTFIG00824-quand-bmw-s-interesse-de-trop-pres-a-autolib-8230.php

Apparently, some engineers, send by BMW were looking at Autolib without authorization.
Now Bolloré is accusing BMW of industrial espionnage...

Not good, the day of the launch of the i8!

:shock:

Here is an official statement from BMW:

Sorry, I only found it in French, so this is a google translation...

BMW categorically denies all charges of espionage. In the upcoming launch of the BMW i3 , BMW Group conducts routine tests , across Europe , to check the compatibility of refills available on the street. These tests are for sole purpose of identifying the network of charging stations for electric vehicles that BMW would be able to use .

BMW confirmed it conducted routine tests on 21, 22 and 26 August in Paris . However , on 5 September , BMW has neither conducted nor commissioned any test.

We cooperate naturally and seamlessly with the authorities in charge of any investigation .

I'm not familiar with the situation, perhaps Autolib is looking for press exposure or some financial support? In my experience, all automakers take a close look at their competition. This is usually done when a vehicle can be simply acquired on the market, like a normal consumer would, and then tested as appropriate at an R&D facility. This would be nothing new or surprising. I know for a fact that engineers from other automakers were looking to drive along in a Model S, when Tesla stared selling them. This is similar to a web designer looking at amazon.com or netflix.com to gauge the user experience on those sites, learn from the mistakes as well as good decisions, and design a better system as a result.
bmwi3mnl

In my opinion, it's more of a way to gain press exposure for Bolloré.
I think they annouced yesterday that they are partnering up with Renault on some level I am not familiar with yet...

Anyway, it's bad press exposure for BMW (it even went on TV, on radio, ...), on the day of the launch of the i8, and while the i3 still has a long way to go to be known and appreciated here in France.

Back