Is the i3's CFRP more expensive to repair and insure?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uter

After watching those awesome production videos, I'm confused as to whether the i3 will be more or less expensive to repair after a collision. So, will the cars cost more to insure?

Tom has previously posted that insurance rates for the ActiveE were the same as ICE cars http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26, but now we are entering into a new phase of producing cars.

Think back to the onset of bonded aluminum bodies from Audi which could only be repaired at a few sites in the USA. Did those cars incur greater insurance costs as a result?

The official line from BMW is reasonably encouraging (link)

For lower energy crash damage, lengths of the CFRP door frame can be replaced using repair sections, such as a side sill, via use of a special kit including a patented milling tool. Lower energy accidents in the 15-20 km/h (9-12 mph) range would generally see the replaceable outer plastic panels absorbing impact. BMW quotes overall accident repair costs at about the same level as its 1 Series range.
and from here
Carbon-fibre is also mainly cheaper to repair in a crash, according to BMW, with between 10 and 20 per cent reduced costs and 10 to 15 per cent reduced labour times. What's more, BMW claims that more than 95 per cent of typical accidents will only affect the outer skin panels which can be easily replaced, with just 2.5 per cent affecting the aluminium rolling chassis and another 2.5 per cent the inner carbon-fibre body.
Obviously, BMW can say what they want, insurance companies are going to do their own research and charge accordingly but BMW offer insurance so hopefully that's another option if it looks like early quotes are v. expensive.

Back