Jumping range reading while parked

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epirali

Hi there

Relatively new to i3, still learning about the cars "personality." But what I am seeing is that when the car is just parked the range guess jumps around when checked by app. I understand range is adjusted by last 18 miles, but why does it jump up and down when Parked?

Louis also happens when charging, the miles do not go linearly with percent of charge, but seem to jump at the end.

Anyone else notice these?

P.S. Last surprise is with all the advanced tech and weight savings I am getting almost the exact same miles/kwhr as my leaf with same roads, speed and driving style. Would have expected better.

Over what period of time are you seeing the range changes? The range is somewhat dependent on the temperature, so overnight, as things cool off, the range could drop in the estimate. But, as the day warms, it may go back up. The REx gets slightly less MPGe verses the BEV because of the extra weight it carries around all of the time. Just like an ICE's gas gauge and range to empty isn't always the most accurate, don't expect the EV's reading to be accurate either.

The ambient temperature plays a part for sure but don't forget that as you come to a stop your battery will be probably be at the optimal temperature as well, stopping to charge overnight will allow the battery to cool off which affects the range unless you precondition.

PluviaPlumbum said:
The ambient temperature plays a part for sure but don't forget that as you come to a stop your battery will be probably be at the optimal temperature as well, stopping to charge overnight will allow the battery to cool off which affects the range unless you precondition.

The change while parked was just over 2-3 hours, not much ambient temp change but battery would start cooking off. But the range went down, up, them down. That doesn't make sense.

Also the non linear range shown during charge is strange too, as the battery temp is actively maintained while charging. I think there may be some bugs in the range calculation algorithm.

epirali said:
PluviaPlumbum said:

The change while parked was just over 2-3 hours, not much ambient temp change but battery would start cooking off. But the range went down, up, them down. That doesn't make sense.

Also the non linear range shown during charge is strange too, as the battery temp is actively maintained while charging. I think there may be some bugs in the range calculation algorithm.

My Rex does the same thing, up,down,up and maybe even up and down again if I leave it in the garage for a few days without driving it. I have owned mine since September last year and it does this all the time.

mindmachine said:
epirali said:
PluviaPlumbum said:

My Rex does the same thing, up,down,up and maybe even up and down again if I leave it in the garage for a few days without driving it. I have owned mine since September last year and it does this all the time.

One thing I have definitely noticed is that during pre-conditioning it is off by 20 miles, seems very reproducible. Then it will correct itself at some point before it finishes.

The deltas by a few miles, as other have pointed out, is just ambient temperature, and maybe even the car using temperature management.

Back