Kent to South of France in i3 REx - am i mad?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had my i3 REX for 7 weeks but the range extender base unit went wrong so the car went back to Sytner for a week waiting for the new £2000 part to come from Germany.It has been fine since then.
I too am considering long trips on the range extender to save the trouble of hiring a car for motoring holidays etc at home and abroad.
So far I have only done a round trip of 120 miles and I started with a full charge and a full tank Once the battery was down to 75% I selected the REX hold charge and drove the 60 miles to Frinton on Sea. On the way back I used up the rest of the battery charge
so that the range extender automatically took over and once home recharged the battery overnight on a domestic socket in my garage. All worked perfectly so I feel confident I could go much farther using the range extender only. I am in two minds whether it would be advisable to carry a spare can of petrol, whether it is likely to be necessary and whether it would be safe?
I love the car and really enjoy driving it mostly on the battery for trips round town in relaxed silence

Bernie Curtis
Harold Wood

Back