know how to reset the range indicator?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasleinstein

Because the KLE failure and other issues our maximum range now displays we can only drive 40 miles. I need to reset and start the learning over. I have ask BMW and the dealer, neither can tell me how to reset it. Seems like a simple request really. I'd really like to know what sort of logic BMW engineers used to formulate the "learning". Judging by the way our range looks its got to be weird.

Any one have an idea how to reset the max range display?

thanks

Why should you reset it? When you use your nav system, it will re-calculate, based on the roads you will travel. That works fine.

I think what the OP wanted was to reset the predicted range. As far as I understand the predicted range is in part based on what the car ‘learns’ about your driving style. So if you always drive it like a hot hatch the range prediction will be low. If you drive it very very carefully then the range prediction will be higher. I think the OP wants to get the car to relearn from the beginning instead of waiting for it to catch up.

For example, my Z4 auto gearbox would ‘learn’ my driving style and adapt accordingly. If I spent a long time in the city it changed gear less aggressively. However, you could restart this process with a complicated series of actions much like accessing the hidden menus.

Unfortunately, I have no idea if it is possible.

jasleinstein said:
Because the KLE failure and other issues our maximum range now displays we can only drive 40 miles. I need to reset and start the learning over. I have ask BMW and the dealer, neither can tell me how to reset it. Seems like a simple request really. I'd really like to know what sort of logic BMW engineers used to formulate the "learning". Judging by the way our range looks its got to be weird.

thanks

Sorry no.... but mine relearns in a day or two (approx 100 miles).

It seems something very odd has happened if your only getting 40 miles predicted.. have you driven about yet over 40 miles?

jasleinstein said:
Because the KLE failure and other issues our maximum range now displays we can only drive 40 miles. I need to reset and start the learning over. I have ask BMW and the dealer, neither can tell me how to reset it. Seems like a simple request really.
I can't answer your question, but could you please clarify the situation?

I assume it displays 40miles when you are fully charged. After you drive 20miles, what does the battery charge indicator display? How many battery status segments are blue?

jasleinstein said:
My guess would be a simple disconnection and reconnection of the 12 volt battery which works for this purpose in at least two other EVs I've tinkered with. The 12 volt battery is easily accessible by popping out the screen material on the starboard (left as you face the vehicle from the front) side of the frunk.

Doing so would very likely reset many, if not most of the settings you have already painstakingly programmed into the vehicle, so I would recommend against it.

As others have posted, the Guessometer will learn your driving habits over time, and become surprisingly accurate for the generic case. Once you program a destination, it will become even more accurate, which has been observed by some owners as being rather conservative.

thanks to all of you for your responses. Unless BMW gives us a hint on what/how they calculate the range the value to me is useless. Were the driving habits calculated over the last day used? Last four days? week? On a hot day I might use the AC which kills energy use. Three days later when its cool do the algorithms that temp into consideration?
I have a request into the dealer, (as always BMW doesn't want direct customer feedback) to see if there is a way to disable the calculated values. If one doesn't know what the criteria are used to calculate displays the results are useless.

Frankly all we want is a simple readout of storage to align with the blue bars. I now assume four bars are 80 miles. it seems to work fairly well. I have been driving around the city, no AC and little freeway driving over 60 MPH for three days. Should be what this little car likes. With two and 3/4 bars the max display states 41 miles. I chose to ignore the calculated values as for us they are useless.

Its akin to charging rates. When we plug into a public charger one would expect to see the rate of charge. It should not be a guessing game. If i plug into a type two charger and only am charging at 3kW, I should be able to easily see that. With this terrible reduction in charging rate lowered %30 for all i3's, 5kW vs 3kW is a big deal. Twice I have plugged into a type 2 charger and because of syncing issues or something I received a lower charging rate. As i know of the issues I was able to watch the charging station console and see the problem, then disconnected and reconnected. The car display????? zero help.
thanks again for the comments.

jasleinstein said:
thanks to all of you for your responses. Unless BMW gives us a hint on what/how they calculate the range the value to me is useless. Were the driving habits calculated over the last day used? Last four days? week? On a hot day I might use the AC which kills energy use. Three days later when its cool do the algorithms that temp into consideration?
I have a request into the dealer, (as always BMW doesn't want direct customer feedback) to see if there is a way to disable the calculated values. If one doesn't know what the criteria are used to calculate displays the results are useless.

Frankly all we want is a simple readout of storage to align with the blue bars. I now assume four bars are 80 miles. it seems to work fairly well. I have been driving around the city, no AC and little freeway driving over 60 MPH for three days. Should be what this little car likes. With two and 3/4 bars the max display states 41 miles. I chose to ignore the calculated values as for us they are useless.

Its akin to charging rates. When we plug into a public charger one would expect to see the rate of charge. It should not be a guessing game. If i plug into a type two charger and only am charging at 3kW, I should be able to easily see that. With this terrible reduction in charging rate lowered %30 for all i3's, 5kW vs 3kW is a big deal. Twice I have plugged into a type 2 charger and because of syncing issues or something I received a lower charging rate. As i know of the issues I was able to watch the charging station console and see the problem, then disconnected and reconnected. The car display????? zero help.
thanks again for the comments.
Have you tried the iConcierge? [email protected] or 855-236-1025.

One thing to keep in mind...BMW says that using the a/c when driving over 30mph takes less energy than driving with the windows down...IOW, while, yes, it does use energy, it's not as bad as many people think.

DeJay58 said:
I've resetted my boardcomputer through the service menu amd since then I have a more accurate range prediction.
In the states we received a major s/w update in the last month or so, usually referred to as 07-503. Did you receive a similar update to correct the Check Engine Light and reduce the rate of charge?

If so, I'd like to know if you did the reset after that s/w update was installed. I'm pretty sure my car got a complete reset when that was installed and my range calculation has definitely changed.

Boatguy,

Yes I tried the concierge. They were very nice (we have had many calls over this call) They remind me they are not a technical resource. (hum,,,, ) They really don't understand the charging issues.

A couple question people asked I didn't answer. Here is an example of what happens. Today I started and all four bars were blue. Max range was 79 miles. I never drove over 60, calm, no hills, etc. When I returned the max range was 24 miles, I had full bar (lets call that 20 miles) and .9 of the second (lets call that 18 miles ). So the bars show ~38 and the max range shows 24. The comment about a couple of days, I'll watch the car and see when It,if it gets back to 80 something.

I am getting pretty good at just ignoring the calculated amounts. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to have a look at the blue bars and see how far from home you are and know how hard, or easy you have been driving.
thanks everyone.

Boatguy said:
If so, I'd like to know if you did the reset after that s/w update was installed. I'm pretty sure my car got a complete reset when that was installed and my range calculation has definitely changed.
No I haven't got this update because I have no problems with the car. I think an update includes a reset.

jasleinstein said:
A couple question people asked I didn't answer. Here is an example of what happens. Today I started and all four bars were blue. Max range was 79 miles. I never drove over 60, calm, no hills, etc. When I returned the max range was 24 miles, I had full bar (lets call that 20 miles) and .9 of the second (lets call that 18 miles ). So the bars show ~38 and the max range shows 24. The comment about a couple of days, I'll watch the car and see when It,if it gets back to 80 something.
I've experienced the same thing since the software update. When I start out, it shows a higher range, but when I drive through the day it's predicting a much lower range than previously.

The guess-o-meter seems to have gotten worse with the update.

Boatguy,
yes I did try the concierge.

I ask:
What are the basic guidelines BMW uses for the calculations, numbers of hours/days driven, air conditioner use, speed, terrain, etc?
How can the estimate be reset when the values get to far out of useable range?
How can I tell the charging rate from within the car?
How can I tell actual charge amount of the batteries, either in amps or watts, i.e.%x of 22kW?

They told me they would ask BMW corporate and get back to me. That was five days ago.

jasleinstein said:
Boatguy,
yes I did try the concierge.

I ask:
What are the basic guidelines BMW uses for the calculations, numbers of hours/days driven, air conditioner use, speed, terrain, etc?
How can the estimate be reset when the values get to far out of useable range?
How can I tell the charging rate from within the car?
How can I tell actual charge amount of the batteries, either in amps or watts, i.e.%x of 22kW?

They told me they would ask BMW corporate and get back to me. That was five days ago.
My apologies, I've also found the concierge to be pretty useless. I've had much similar questions pending for over a week with no response.

I had an interesting conversation earlier today with several former Active E owners who were also amazed how little communication (i.e., almost none) with BMW when they were essentially beta testers for a new product. The existence of the dealer network between the owner and factory effectively mutes all communications. The manufacturer forces all communications through the dealers and the most of the dealers seem to have little interest or aptitude with respect to the i3. They're making their money selling ICE cars and the i3 is a distraction.

I recall that one of the US dealers took an active role in promoting the i3 with a bunch of videos on YouTube. Maybe we should direct emails to their service staff. They can't possibly be less responsive than BMW corporate.

History speaks loudly about companies that keep their head buried in the sand and fend off customers thru intermediaries, try to cover mistakes via clumsy marketing. In the days of forums and blogs word spreads fast. 5 inch high white letters spelling "DON"T BY THIS CAR" on the rear window of an i3 can spread at 40 MPH.

Back