Larger screen mod on a 2019+ i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a low mileage i3 that happened to have the smaller 'idrive' screen. The screen made my eyes itch, but I thought, the first mod would be getting rid of that screen. Except that apparently, the manufacturers changed, and it is quite difficult to get the larger screens for my car.

Since this screen irrationally bugs me, i wonder if someone has scavenged the larger screen from a 2019+ car, and successfully transplanted it to a 2019+ car. (my guess is that more than just the screen and coding would be involved, but has anyone done this yet?

A brief search yielded no results.
Tnx

it is not just the screen that needs to be changed like the earlier models. You apparently need to replace the Head Unit as well.

Thanks for the reply.
Interesting. to functionally swap a head unit between cars, is there a clear 'diy' how-to already established? Or is this uncharted waters.

I got a low mileage i3 that happened to have the smaller 'idrive' screen. The screen made my eyes itch, but I thought, the first mod would be getting rid of that screen. Except that apparently, the manufacturers changed, and it is quite difficult to get the larger screens for my car.

Since this screen irrationally bugs me, i wonder if someone has scavenged the larger screen from a 2019+ car, and successfully transplanted it to a 2019+ car. (my guess is that more than just the screen and coding would be involved, but has anyone done this yet?

A brief search yielded no results.
Tnx
Hi yes I bought the larger screen from Ali Express about £ 300 including postage from China, it is a different manufacturer I think it is Japanese Kycero , probably spell it wrong, I downloaded Bimmercode and use a wifi obcdongle and changed the screen size to 10.25 , there are lots of videos about on how to do it, and its worth doing Hope this helps', Royston, Oldsparks

Hi yes I bought the larger screen from Ali Express about £ 300 including postage from China, it is a different manufacturer I think it is Japanese Kycero , probably spell it wrong, I downloaded Bimmercode and use a wifi obcdongle and changed the screen size to 10.25 , there are lots of videos about on how to do it, and its worth doing Hope this helps', Royston, Oldsparks
Thanks for the info.
So what you are saying is that so long as the screen is from the Japanese manufacturer, installing the larger screen unto a 2019+ i3 requires the same steps as it did on the older cars?

(I want to make sure that I understand what is being said.)

It's simple...

If you have

- ID4 system, "list style" main menu, just replace screen to Innolux and code with Bimmercode

- ID6 system, "2 widgets" on main menu, need to replace screen to Kyocera and headunit together with adapter cables. It's mire complicated.

Thanks for the info.
So what you are saying is that so long as the screen is from the Japanese manufacturer, installing the larger screen unto a 2019+ i3 requires the same steps as it did on the older cars?

(I want to make sure that I understand what is being said.)
Hi yes check and make sure it is the Kycero small screen that you have and then buy the same make screen for i3 its probably ID6 version i3s after 2017 they changed to Kycero Head units , if it is the innolux small screen you have then you will need to buy the innolux 10.25 screen and code to change screen size and aspects

- ID4 system, "list style" main menu, just replace screen to Innolux and code with Bimmercode

- ID6 system, "2 widgets" on main menu, need to replace screen to Kyocera and headunit together with adapter cables. It's mire complicated.
Could you point me to a resource - or an example of someone who has made the upgrade from a smaller screen to a Kyocera+headunit set up?

This car is 2 months old to me - so I am not up to date on what ID4/ID6 mean.
Can i find them out using the vin? An info screen in the iDrive menus? or is this something I have to disassemble the headunit to find.

Thanks all!

[edit - I think I understand what you mean by "2 widgets" on the main screen - I do have 2 widgets on the main screen - therefore I have the ID6.
For next steps, I guess that I need to find out who the manufacturer of my screen is? (Kyocera/Innolux )
are the upgrade steps different for either manufacturer? ]

Last edited:
Hi yes check and make sure it is the Kycero small screen that you have and then buy the same make screen for i3 its probably ID6 version i3s after 2017 they changed to Kycero Head units , if it is the innolux small screen you have then you will need to buy the innolux 10.25 screen and code to change screen size and aspects
Ah, i see.
I assumed that Kyocera was the sole source supplier for these screens in the 2019+ cars.
so things are a bit more complicated.

I am asking, because I have a chance to get parts from a damaged car, and want to be sure that I have everything that I need, before disposing of the car.

Could you point me to a resource - or an example of someone who has made the upgrade from a smaller screen to a Kyocera+headunit set up?

This car is 2 months old to me - so I am not up to date on what ID4/ID6 mean.
Can i find them out using the vin? An info screen in the iDrive menus? or is this something I have to disassemble the headunit to find.

Thanks all!

[edit - I think I understand what you mean by "2 widgets" on the main screen - I do have 2 widgets on the main screen - therefore I have the ID6.
For next steps, I guess that I need to find out who the manufacturer of my screen is? (Kyocera/Innolux )
are the upgrade steps different for either manufacturer? ]
Hi I think you will find its Kyocera , if you either lift your rear seat and check head unit or remove screen by following one of the screen change videos and the manufacturer name will be on the back Kyocero are famous camera and lense makers then check internet for the larger infotainment screen, there should not be any need to change the head unit as it is ID6 for your year i3, it's just changing the screen's over and coding for the large screen there is some good videos on how to do this mostly American but it's the same for UK cars that's how I did my upgrade about a year ago.

Latest posts

Back