Law Suit against BMW The i3 Rex is not safe

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterv

A law suit has been filed in Federal Court Los Angeles, CA saying the i3 is dangerous when the battery is at 6% and the Rex is engaged.

As we all know , the Rex will not hold the state of charge when under a load ( uphill) and the car will slow down etc

I have cured the issue by coding( and making use of the full 2.4 gallon tank and AM Radio) but there are many that have not coded or do not know how to etc

Hopefully, BMW will address this problem for all owners regardless of the EPA etc

IF you continue to stress the power needed, regardless of whether the REx comes on at 6% or 75%, you can and will continue to draw down battery SOG and reach the same situation if you drive far enough. The bottom line is, 34hp never was intended to keep the SOC up under all conditions. IT can easily do that when the car is used in its intended mode, as a commuter, with the REx to allay range anxiety, but not if used for cross-country driving under any conditions like an ICE is designed to do.

Volt is similar to i3 with REx. Volt has a much bigger gas tank. Kudos to GM for putting usability ahead of CAFE standards and BEV credits.

When we purchased our i3 with REx we thought we were getting an all purpose vehicle rather than a city/commuter car. Our previous EV was a smart ED that was a great city/commuter car. So we are a bit disappointed that the i3 has such serious limitations.

Wow, only posted about 8 times on the FB group and I believe at least once in each forum section here.

Its frivolous, the end.

Back