Leaving the electric port open

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRPH

Am I the only one who manages to leave the electric port open? When I first bought the car I did it twice- and twice people pointed it out to me. I thought I had learned to shut it, but I recently did it again- and a lady came over to me thinking my gas door was open and the cap was off.

No, you're not. I've left it open several times. Even did it this morning. Saw it in the side view mirror as I was backing out of my driveway. Pity there isn't an alarm for it.

Cheers.

Well considering this post had 114 views and me and you were the only ones to "fess up", I'd have to say both of us need at least some mild mental health help. :lol:

Happens to me more that it should. I find that at home, I'm 99% on closing the flap. If my wife unplugs and doesn't close it, I've been in the midst of backing out before realizing its open (and nearly taking it off with the garage door frame). When charging elsewhere with the OUC especially, I've unplugged and begun winding up the cord and stowing the OUC several times and thus forgetting to close the flap. Drove nearly an hour the other day on the highway with it open.

Yes, I do it all the time. Glad to know I am not the only forgetful one. I know all BMWs put the fuel door on that side but this is one time where I wish they had put it on the driver's side.

FWIW, if you don't catch too far into the flap, the painted portion pops off if you hit something. It snaps back easily, at least mine did. I'm usually pretty good about this, but this one time, I was just moving the car so the snow plow could get closer, and I caught something...got really close to the wall!

Back