Longer charging cable

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juniorbeep

Hi I'm in the UK and am looking for a longer charge cable 32amp version. Would need ideally about 20m.... is there a limit to the cable length? I can only find up to about 15m. Has anyone had a custom cable made up or know of where to obtain a longer version?

Spotted this company before I got the i3, max they do off the shelf is 10m, they do custom lengths and colours though.
Let us know how it goes.

https://evconnectors.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=115

well they replied... said they don't like going over 15m due to the loss with increased length... now I'm no expert... but. I can't imagine the difference being that much...

Any thoughts from you guys on this?

Wire has resistance to it. The more power you try to push through it, the bigger the voltage drop, and the wire will heat up. Copper isn't cheap and the connections are limited and also have a slight resistance between the contacts. Don't exceed their recommendations. It may be expensive to increase the gauge of the wire, and the connectors available may not support it, either so that becomes a mute point.

The interlock signals don't typically have large gauge wires, and if you extend the cable too far, their level may drop as well. A square wave does not travel well without a lot of work, and the EVSE isn't designed to drive it all that far, either. This would affect the vehicle's ability to ascertain what's available and to operate correctly.

Hi thanks for the info...

Can I pose another question and ask if anyone is using a longer cable than standard?

I bought a stock 10m cable from said UK supplier and one thing that concerns me slightly is the longevity of the cable, as 10m will be a lot to move and scrape along the floor. Also, the cable will obviously get muddy and wet, which will make removal and storage in the morning (when one usually hasn't got that much time) tricky. Lastly, looping the 10m wire around our Chargemaster 32 Amps EVSE is going to be a challenge. I'll also keep a 3m cable in the car for out-and-about charging - that's the one I'm getting with my BMW.

Long story short: If possible, I'd recommend trying to find a different spot for your EVSE first and then going for a shorter cable.

Back