Loss of 15% Range with Update to HMI 02.03.03

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my car on the 1st March - and it was still pretty chilly then. A fair few frosty mornings and a couple of drives in cold sleety/snow. But the predicted ranges were higher than they are now - and it seems much warmer.

I have a few scribbled notes on some of the early trips:

Start: 99% Charge. 8 degrees C. Comfort mode prediction = 70 miles; Eco mode = 92; Eco+ = 95.
Drive 29 miles. Av Speed = 43 mph. Climate Control = 19 degrees C.
End: 65% Charge. 8 degrees C. Comfort mode prediction = 52 miles; Eco mode = 57; Eco+ = 63.

That sort of thing. Got bored after the first month!

What I do note is that the variation between predictions of C/E/E+ was huge in the past. Post s/w upgrade, it's minimal or nothing.

Also, I have no record of a predicted Comfort mode range of less than 72 miles at 100% charge. And only one of a 70 mile prediction - and at an external temp of +1. Now I seem to getting predictions in the mid to 60s.

However, I am still achieving 60 miles (mostly on a hilly m-way at 65 ish) with around 20% charge left on Eco and minimal heating.

BTW, at 10,000 or so km, I'm an EV convert. The car is superb and the REx is, for me, a good answer to the cost/range problem.

Back