Low beam headlight failure

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GodFollower

So, driving my car home last week from work and my drivers low-beam headlight went out when I hit a bump...

If I cycled the switch it would come on for a few seconds, then go back off. If you watch the light from in front of the vehicle you can see it is only illuminating half of the LEDs inside.

Had one of the service writers make an RO for it the next day, and found it was going to need the entire headlight assembly replaced. Looks like one of the LED strings in the headlight broke, and parts are not available or even serviceable separately.

On the plus side, there were multiple headlights available state-side, so it was a two day ordeal and now all is back to normal. Quick and easy, and the headlight was less than $700 warranty price-not too bad, I have seen much worse from BMW.

GodFollower said:
... and the headlight was less than $700 warranty price-not too bad, I have seen much worse from BMW.
you mean you had to pay to have faulty LED assembly (which isn't a consumable anymore like traditional light bulbs) replaced under warranty?

Tomasz said:
GodFollower said:
... and the headlight was less than $700 warranty price-not too bad, I have seen much worse from BMW.
you mean you had to pay to have faulty LED assembly (which isn't a consumable anymore like traditional light bulbs) replaced under warranty?

Plus I was told all maintence was included for four years including normal wear and tear items like wiper blades, brake pads, ext......! At least in the US market. Where are you located?

Prices of BMW parts can be reasonable to exorbitant. But, during the warranty period, it really doesn't matter. I broke the driver's side comfort seat control button on my other BMW (mechanically, broke off one of the buttons) and while replaced under warranty, if I'd had to pay for the part, it was around $300. It had maybe four microswitches and a small circuit board on it, the rest being plastic. It's a function of volume, where things like an oil filter are cheap, but things unique to this low volume car can be quite expensive. On the i3, most things are unique to the vehicle other than say the wiper blades and some of the light bulbs (LEDs excepted).

i3atl said:
He works at a dealer, and mentioned warranty price. No reason why he would've paid for a failed part.

This is correct. I was merely stating how much the part cost BMW to replace, not that I paid that much ;)

And the reason I said $700 was not bad is because most of the LED headlight assemblies are much more than that. For example, F02 LCI LED headlamp assembly runs $1,948.56...

Back