Low cost charging - not starting

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lincsat

I'm in the UK with a (just delivered) Rex and I have a BMW wallbox. I have set the low cost charging to start at 1am and continue to 7am, I can plug in the car at any time before 1am and it appears to go through the self-test and wait (as expected) however, it does not start to charge at 1am. I went out at 2am and unlocked the car, unplugged the cable and then reconnected and it immediately started to charge OK.

I think I remember reading something about a software bug with the BMW branded wallbox, does anyone have any more info or info on a timescale for a fix?

Congrats on the new car!

I also have a BMW wallbox and it exhibits the same behaviour. I originally attributed it to a bug but later discovered the charging cycle did not start at the time the charging window opened, but rather some time later. I believe the algorithm calculates how much time is needed from window closure (or departure time) in order to complete its cycle, and begins charging then.

I've also seen it abandon its algorithm and start charging immediately when unplugged and re-plugged (as you did), or even just upon opening a car door.

It's not the kind of behaviour that inspires a lot of confidence, but I've learned to ignore it. The car has not failed to charge…yet :roll:

From an energy use standpoint, the act of recharging the vehicle heats up the batteries which makes them able to hold a bit more energy than when cold. So, if you recharged, then let it sit for hours, and you wanted to precondition things, you'd be using up energy to reheat things verses just completing it as close to the end point as possible and then left. Now, it may often happen that your departure time and the window may not coincide, but those are my thoughts on why.

I will leave it to charge tonight and see if it does successfully charge OK without any intervention from myself.

My car did not charge overnight on the timer, so looks like either it's broken in the UK/Europe or it's just me. I've not been able to register with connected drive either :(

We are unfortunately experiencing unresolved technical issues which are preventing the activation of ConnectedDrive services on a limited number of BMW vehicles. This issue is under investigation but unfortunately at the current time we do not have a time frame for a fix to be implemented. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

It would not let me set the delayed charging without setting a departure time first. I'm trying a "Fix" posted on the facebook page tonight of just having a single day departure time set with all other days unchecked.

OK, got a fix that works for me. I must have it set to precondition at the set departure time, then the car will start charging at the start of the low cost window. If preconditioning is not set, then the car will not charge at the Low Cost start time for that day.

Hi

I'm 24 hours into collecting mine..so learning the ropes.

Trying first overnight/Economy 7 charge and waiting up to see what happens (reminds me of Xmas & Santa). I have set tariff from 1am to 6am & then departure time of 12.30pm this Sunday/today (which now seems wrong...I think) but no pre-condition. But seems like this won't work based on comment above? Do you have to have pre-condition 'ticked' for overnight charge?

FYI - I've got a Rolec EVSE

cheers

You may be OK with the Rolex, problems seem to be with the BMW Wallbox. Mine is currently correctly charging around 60-75% of the time.

Unless you have a fancier EVSE that can turn its pilot signal on or off to fool the car that it's there or not, it is entirely the car that determines when it wants to engage the EVSE. All the EVSE does is send a signal out that says what power it has available, it is the car that determines when and how much power it will try to utilize. IOW, it should not matter whose EVSE you are using, you should get the same results IF they report the same capability (or at least enough to max out the i3's onboard charging devices - more doesn't help).

1st overnight charge was all good.

Batt was down at 50% after my first 50 miles....woke this morn to an eco pro + range of 114m!..Soon calmed down after I planned a bit of pre-condition a bit later on!

Back