Luggage capacity

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastyboy

As this is a "City car" I guess you should not expect it to have a huge boot (trunk), but it is smaller than I thought. We had intended to replace a 121k miles Golf GTi with the i3 Rex and keep a 330Ci for roof down motoring when we fancied it. The luggage capacity figures were lower for the i3 but not apparently significantly so, and when you park it next to the Golf it seems massive. However, we came to take our son back to Uni (mainly motorway/dual carriageway roads) and found that we were struggling to get his stuff and three of us into the i3. We decided to abandon that and instead take the Golf, which we still have. It swallowed everything, plus took four (not three) of us on the journey with no need for a stop.

I still think the i3 is great, really love driving it, and we have done long distance trips in it (i.e. 200 miles plus), but for anyone thinking it is a good load carrier (subject to weight of course, so bulky but lightweight) then I would urge caution, as I was very surprised at the difference in capacity between the two cars. It is a bit like Dr Who's tardis in reverse. We have decided to keep the Golf as a workhorse, as it is worth more to us than what we could sell it for. Lucky we have a double garage and a six car drive!

The BMW UK brochure quotes 260 litres with the seats up and 1100 with them down. This equates to 9.2 cu. ft. and 38.8 cu. ft. respectively.

I think some of the web sites are mixing up cargo space. As near as I can tell, the following are the cubic feet numbers

.................... i3......e-golf

Seats down.....11.8......22.8
Seats up.........37.........52.7

Ron

pastyboy said:
stumbledotcom said:
cove3 said:
The cargo capacity in cubic feet with the seats down:
i3 11.8
e-golf 52.7

Ron

Actually 11.8 is with the seats up. Edmunds quotes 36.9 with the rear seats down.

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/i3/2014/road-test-specs.html
But at the end of the day, a great car but not very space efficient, albeit acceptable for a "city" car.

Agree that the i3 interior is not so great for your stuff, but it is super great for hauling yourself. The space for the driver is incredible. I'm 6'3, used to driving SUV's in order not to feel cramped, and find the i3 very spacious and open feeling for the driver. :)

My disappointment is they the passenger seat does not lay flat limiting the length of things that can fit boo hoo

Back